66 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40 37840

37840 is early September 1965. Less than a hundred after the first one made that month. A little less than 1,100 were made in September. The number listed is the first one made that month. Verified that with later FJ40s with a A pillar plaque with month date on them. That air inlet ended pretty quick once the hard top changed. Would have been surprised if the date was much later.

I'm glad you got it. That was a good find. Love that white.

A few of the cool items with the truck.

CB2877D6-1DD1-4084-876F-100562BD0494.jpeg

A93C85E7-CEE1-4979-813C-177AFCDD68EE.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm guessing I should move this to the 40's forum due to year. Maybe not quite early enough.
I think you’re good. Fj25’s yes. But e-67 fj40’s are “early enough” in my book.

Nice find. You’re good staying here if you’d like to.

I finally got it home and into the barn yesterday. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to check it out, as my 60 is also in there and I'll be pulling the engine from that today.

However, I did get a chance to open it up and take a cursory look around. Everything looks pretty good so far. Excited to explore it some more!

IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_3753.jpg

IMG_3754.jpg

IMG_3756.jpg

I did take a few minutes to try some CLR, and scotch-brite pad on one of the quarter panels. I think it will clean up nicely!

IMG_3761.jpg

Wife and I spent a couple hours yesterday afternoon scrubbing the rust off. The CLR worked great. Super happy with the results.

IMG_3766.jpg

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_3770.jpg

IMG_3771.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

So, in regards to a drivetrain...the majority is in the back of the truck. Options are:

1. Attempt putting original engine together and see if it will run
2. Purchase a used, period correct, engine and attach to 3spd column shift for originality
3. Purchase a used 2f.
4. Purchase used 3FE

Do I bother trying to use the column shift? I think they are awesome, but wondering if it is a pain sourcing parts and maintaining.

Will I be cast to the pits of hell if I throw a 2F in there? If I do use a 2F, do I attach to the column shift? I hate to cut the trans tunnel.

Open to the gods for opinions.

I’ve rocked a 3 on the tree in my last two. I kinda like it. And I don’t mind a four in the floor. Just whatever you prefer. A 3 or 4 speed is a one to one final drive... so.

And put that 1F back together... who knows, it might surprise you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom