65 fj40 complete all original engine engine (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a 73 FJ40 that had the engine replaced with an early all stock 67 down engine. Runs like a clock, 150comp all cylinders. No oil drips or leaks, very clean, thinking it has been rebuilt. What kind of value does this have for somebody wanting to restore an early FJ back to stock?

Depends. Post up some pictures. Is it an engine from '65 or '67? You have both years posted. Has it been bored over? Does it have all of the original equipment, carb/alternator/water pump/brackets or aftermarket? A lot of variables can go into giving a number. but it's probably not as valuable as you think. Most people want to upgrade to a two F anyways.

You can usually get more for it if you offer it "can hear run".

Depends. Post up some pictures. Is it an engine from '65 or '67? You have both years posted. Has it been bored over? Does it have all of the original equipment, carb/alternator/water pump/brackets or aftermarket? A lot of variables can go into giving a number. but it's probably not as valuable as you think. Most people want to upgrade to a two F anyways.

Since the engine was in when I bought it, I don't know exactly what year it is. Just found out when trying to find a 73 intake manifold, that I had a one barrel intake manifold. From my little bit of research this engine seems to be fairly stock. The carb has the big glass window in the front with a gray plate. Original air cleaner (I think), never have seen one, but matches pictures I have seen. This motor was slated to be replaced from the beginning of purchase. As for value I have no idea, but almost changed my mind about replacing it because of how well it ran. I know there are still a few restorations going on that may need original parts (if that is what I have). Mostly thought it needed a good home. From what I have found on this site the cast # on block shows it to be a November 07 1964. Hope the pictures well help ID this.
1602876098171.png
1602876125044.png
1602876155173.png
1602876412935.png
1602876628312.png
1602876098171.png
1602876125044.png
1602876155173.png
1602876412935.png
1602876628312.png

You can usually get more for it if you offer it "can hear run".
Yes I agree, it is still in the FJ and can be heard. Not sure if I am going sell yet as I also have a 1965 tub and most body parts that might be my next build.

Looks like the block was cast April 10th 1964. This was most likely was in a cruiser that the engine serial would be on the VIN plaque on the firewall. My 9/64 FJ45LP-B still has the engine serial number on the VIN plaque. It had a early 2F when I bought. Instead of looking for a F135 will be going with a eighties drive train.

Looks like the block was cast April 10th 1964. This was most likely was in a cruiser that the engine serial would be on the VIN plaque on the firewall. My 9/64 FJ45LP-B still has the engine serial number on the VIN plaque. It had a early 2F when I bought. Instead of looking for a F135 will be going with a eighties drive train.
FJ40 that it is in is a 12/72, so vin plate would not match

I’m local and interested in whole motor. I sent you a pm. Click on the little envelope up on right hand side of your screen.
Sorry Casey I am new to this forum and not sure how to see a PM. I see a little envelope at the top right, but only brings me back thread

Tom

Click on envelope it will open with a private line of communication so I can give you my contact info.

Last edited:
Click on envelope it will open with a private line of communication so I can give you my contact info.

Maybe you don’t get an envelope until you reach a certain number of posts...or buy a subscription.

I second @Krondor . If you even THINK you’re going to use it, hang onto it. It’s always more expensive to buy back stuff later. I just sent a customer home with a crate of transfer case parts, making sure I bought nothing I thought he might need in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom