For Sale 63/64 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For sale is my 1963/4 FJ40. I found this 40 up in NW Montana in 2005. I used it up there for a couple summers and then brought it back to Arizona where it was stored from 2006-2012. I then brough it out to California and started taking it apart one rusty bolt at a time. While I was buying parts I noticed that some of the 64 parts did not fit correctly (tie rod ends). I did some research and found that I had 63 tie rods and a few other 63 parts. I was told that Toyota would often take left over prior year parts and use them on the next years vehicle. So I have a mix. The tub was media blasted, metal work done and then the entire thing was powdercoated piece by piece. seat frames powder coated, new seat foam and covers, soft top made by my pops, hardtop was damaged beyond repair by snow. I also have the corregated sides and bi-fold rear door with glass. All are powdercoated the same as the tub. I have bug catcher vent windows and rear jump seats. The engine has a factory mod with dual port intake manifold and 4 to 1 exhaust manifold. Has an electric fuel pump. The original mechanical pump is still in place. I am running a Rochester carb. Original oil bath air filter, aluminum E brake handle, original rear view mirror. It has Selecto front locking hubs, original locking gas cap. A very high end "Tilt-o-meter" was added to the dash at some point!

I now have a full Metal Tech "family" roll cage as well that is anchored to the frame and not just the tub.

I have boxes of hardware and parts form the resto so it will all go with the 40.

Please call me if you are interested or have question. Tad 773-255-5203. We can negotiate a price but I am looking at somewhere around 15-20K. There was a similar 65 that was priced at 14K which had a lot of rust and nothing done to it. I am open to suggestions for price.

photo-41.jpg

photo-42.jpg

after 2.jpg

frame cleaning.jpg

40 with cage.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if its normal not to receive any responses. I am open to any and all input, thoughts, offers, creative criticism, complaints, a friendly hello, an unfriendly hello, even a "hey your crazy to think you will get the price you are asking", Pretty much anything! Make me an offer, you may be surprised!

Thank you, Tad!

Well I think the unwritten rule around here is, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. I certainly don't know what others are thinking, but since you specifically asked for a response, i can say, for me, constructively: The copy for your ad you might want to let an expert review; and then once you do that, take a look at your pictures and see how and if they match up with your pictures.
I'm positive others on here can better advise you on the best ways to sell. GLWS

Well I think the unwritten rule around here is, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. I certainly don't know what others are thinking, but since you specifically asked for a response, i can say, for me, constructively: The copy for your ad you might want to let an expert review; and then once you do that, take a look at your pictures and see how and if they match up with your pictures.
I'm positive others on here can better advise you on the best ways to sell. GLWS
Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by, "The copy for your ad you might want to let an expert review; and then once you do that, take a look at your pictures and see how and if they match up with your pictures."
Are you referring to the ad that I quoted about the other 40? If so I understand what you're saying.

Just so the other members know, I am open to any creative criticism. I would not take it as negativity just honesty. This is my first time selling anything on Mudd. I think that we all look at our 40s as amazing vehicles and we have all put a lot of time and money and blood sweat and tears into them so we would like to get the most out of them. I understand that this is not always possible so I am open to suggestion and negotiation. Ultimately I just wanted it to go to a good home, be taking care of, and used to have fun.

Good looking truck! I personally love the old ones. The later stuff especially 79-83 gets a premium. I personally don't believe that you're too far off. You might want to describe how it runs, drives and stops. I'm certain that a couple youtube videos would help you support your claims. Make a list of all that you've down and a list of the extras. I personally feel that you should sort out the hard top, get it installed, then do photos and video. The guys on mud are great. However, most like me, are looking for a deal. Your best bet is CL or eBay if you want the 10-15 range. Glws!

Good looking truck! I personally love the old ones. The later stuff especially 79-83 gets a premium. I personally don't believe that you're too far off. You might want to describe how it runs, drives and stops. I'm certain that a couple youtube videos would help you support your claims. Make a list of all that you've down and a list of the extras. I personally feel that you should sort out the hard top, get it installed, then do photos and video. The guys on mud are great. However, most like me, are looking for a deal. Your best bet is CL or eBay if you want the 10-15 range. Glws!
Thank you for the advice. I was just taking some pics of the engine.

" new seat foam and covers, soft top made by my pops, hardtop was damaged beyond repair by snow" Again, just an example, I think people might like to see the top. I know that others have liked custom made soft tops they sought to replicate for their vehicles. I think now that you have a conversation going, you're getting all the great advice you will need. Best of luck

I understand wanting to get a great deal. Make me an offer! Something that is good for you but that is also not totally under balling what I am asking. Just ask! You might be surprised.

A few other things that were done: all new tie rod ends, rubber brake lines, New shocks and steering dampener, all body replacement panels were bought through specter. New tires and rims powder coated black, all new badging, brand-new windshield and rubber, I have all of the glass for the rest of the vehicle with new rubber, as early bug catcher vent wings with original Robert which is weathered, New timing gears and oil slinger, original fuel pump is there but I mounted an electric fuel pump, I have the original rear jump seats which are powder coated and recovers. Due to the family roll cage the seats would need to be adapted to fit correctly. All new vacuum and fuel lines as well as wiring. New complete rear brake lights. Completely disassembled the brake master cylinder and cleaned, also have an original refurbished underdash heater and all of the heater vents.

I understand wanting to get a great deal. Make me an offer! Something that is good for you but that is also not totally under balling what I am asking. Just ask! You might be surprised.

That's quite a top. I still suggest sourcing a cap for it and then selling. I'd love to have it... I'm looking for an FJ45LV. My offer in its current state would be deemed "low-balling". ;)

Yes, totally reliable, runs perfect, stops, all 4x systems work! Front turn signals were acting weird so I unhooked them. All other lights work.

I believe there's a short somewhere. I rewired the entire thing piece by piece. I'm thinking it is in one of the relays that is bolted up inside the front wheel wells for the front light wiring harnesses

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom