62 fuel pump options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.binarydesigninc.com
Does anyone know of any cross platform compatabilites in the Toyota product line vis-a-vis the fuel pump of a 1989 fj62? The aftermarket is awash in kits for mkIII supras and their younger siblings but trying to find anything for a 62 is rather dis-heartening.

I tend to remember that I once found a Walbro kit that claimed to fit the 62 but now that I need to actualy replace the pump I can't seem to locate anything.

I've found replacement pumps provided by the usual suspects (checker autozone) but would preferr to get a pump that is a touch more respected in automotive circles and the fact that they are often cheaper doesn't hurt either.

Well anyways, any help on this subject would be appreciated.

Carter's are pretty well regarded on this board... and they have a lifetime warranty. They're available at some of those chains... I think it was around 160 bucks (a lot pricier than the FJ60 pump).

I've been meaning to install one in mine, but I keep putting off dropping the gas tank to get to it (which you have to do on an '88).

Not sure about other Toyota model pumps working.

jason

I did some snooping around teh internets and it looks like the MKIII NA Supra and the FJ62 use the same P/N from several vendors, but I have no way of validating if they really use the same pump. If they do the walbro P/N is GSS278 (400-760) for the 190 lph and GSS315 (400-760) for the 255 lph. Both of these pumps can be aquired for under $100 which would be a good deal......if they really did fit.

I use a Supra pump on a vortec it works fine so I think it should work on a stock FJ 62

If the Supra one is a match, sounds like a winner to me. Otherwise, why not OEM? SOR is listing an "Aisan" pump (note: it's the correct spelling for the Japanese carb/f.i./etc. parts manufacturer that OEMs to Toyota) for $160.. they also have a special order DENSO part# for $296.

I figure if any oem part is lasting 200k miles on my truck, I'm gonna break out some extra cash and get the same part to last another 200k. No use worrying whether the part you got for 1/3 less or whatever is going to last.

eshelbyk, that is one wya of looking at it or you could realize that the 238,xxx mile rust bucket your putting this pump into will never last another 200 k. Which is my case.

And for the record Walbro fuel pumps are often used to replace perfectly good OEM pumps in the course of upgrading the fuel system for turbo's and what not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom