60. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So , in case you hadn't noticed, I bought a clampett soccer mom wagon. As yet unnamed. But I'm sure something will come up.

I laugh because I think it's the same colour scheme as the legendary "Sacky Sacktar..."

Anyways, I made him a "Lau-ball" offer and to my surprise (dismay?) he took it..:lol:

Had some good things going for it, AXT turbo kit, 2.5" exhaust ( routed down LEFT side...:hmm:), 2.5" lift with greasable pins everywhere...

The bad, is the usual 60 badness ; past hippy infestations , signs of them chewing on wires, leaving little nests of granola and sunflower seeds in various pockets. Miscellaneous residue...rust...

When the weather improves I plan to give it a squirt of paint from the body line around the door handles down. Anyone know a colour other than brown or black that goes with this "champagne" colour? ( I think that's what it's called.)

Had to put a new pyro in it last night, as the one it came with was moribund, so was taking it pretty easy on hills. Nice to see that it didn't get above 900f pre turbo this morning...

And on the way home yesterday I snagged a couple of cheap steel bumpers that I guestimated would sortof fit if I used a large hammer and some colourful metaphors.

The front was hideous when I got it. I know, awesome picture, but it's from the craigslist ad. :meh:

cruiserfront.jpg

So I added a bit of a front porch.
It's not done yet, only held on by two bolts, which is why it's not quite sitting level.

I intend to raise it up an inch or two, maybe get it in closer to the body, and then put some deer repellant bars on it.

Basically I'll make it a faux ARB...But for a few bucks , two hours, 4 beer, a fistfull of muscle relaxants and two zipcuts, I'd say it's an improvement.

I have an old warn 5687 kicking around I might throw into it. Pretty sure they have the same mount points as an 8274. Power out is for pussies anyways.

2012-04-11115859.jpg

2012-04-11115916.jpg

Next is the rear bumper, which is a handsome smitty built double tube refugee from the 1980's. Has a receiver, so it'll do until I eventually build something with a swing out on it.
I'll have to crank up some hair metal in the garage when I put it on, although it's probably unsafe to weld in a spandex jumpsuit.

Also going to put my 255 toyo's on it , which means I won't have to worry about 5th gear anymore...and I'll get that frigging basket off the roof too.

I still have the stock roof rack from the last 60 I owned...( back in the 90's for you young people out there....:lol:) So I'll probably stick that back on, as it's a bit more "windsurf board" friendly.

But those escapades will have to wait till the weekend.

Going to require the aid of a couple goons to get that thing off the roof, and my back is too damn sore at the moment for jacking up two heavy assed old trucks at once and lugging ten tires around, but I'll have to swap tires before I put Moutard up for sale.
The great unwashed won't grasp the concept of them not being included.

Ryan, think that ugly basket would fit on my 80? If so I may take it off your hands... (and help you take it down too) I need a cheap basket style rack for our week long camping trip this summer. Does it attach to the drain gutters? Is it adjustable? I wouldn't want it on my truck year round but for the occasional big trip it'd be handy.

Looks good! I miss old "sakky", treated me well!!! Spring it over, i've got a histeer in a box just waiting for you.:beer:

Yeah, I just remember it hurtling backwards down Crusty's driveway with the engine held in by a s***ty frayed ratchet strap...:lol:

but nah, no soa's...I don't wheel enough to deal with all that again. Not to mention the avalanche of expense it causes, 33's are too small, gears are too high...etc etc...

gonna have to find someone else for that highsteer...:flipoff2:

I'll see if I can get Jonathan to buy it. His steering on the 40 is freakin terrifying...:lol:

Ryan, think that ugly basket would fit on my 80? If so I may take it off your hands... (and help you take it down too) I need a cheap basket style rack for our week long camping trip this summer. Does it attach to the drain gutters? Is it adjustable? I wouldn't want it on my truck year round but for the occasional big trip it'd be handy.

yeah it's just u-bolted onto a set of lockable roof bars. Like yakima or something.

I was kindof thinking it might be handy to cut down and put on the tongue of the boler for carrying coolers etc...and I definately want to keep the cross bars it's mounted to. ( in case I can't find the whole stock roof rack...)

But if I don't , I'm sure we could figger something out...it'll probably involve beer. :hillbilly:

Last edited:
Yeahyeah it's just u-bolted onto a set of lockable roof bars. Like yakima or something.

I was kindof thinking it might be handy to cut down and put on the tongue of the boler for carrying coolers etc...and I definately want to keep the cross bars it's mounted to. ( in case I can't find the whole stock roof rack...)

But if I don't , I'm sure we could figger something out...it'll probably involve beer. :hillbilly:

Ok dokey, let me know. I have a pair of old tule (sp?) rack bars that I could use.

..But for a few bucks , two hours, 4 beer, a fistfull of muscle relaxants and two zipcuts, I'd say it's an improvement.

Story of my fawkin life!

Lookin good, I cant believe I still have a stock front bumper.... I gotta get movin on that. At least I have a Costco size bottle of Robax-a-somethingorother.

I figgured you'd be hanging onto those tyres! Backside still a bit tender is it :D

I'm friggin stumped on the colour.... there is a two tone paint pic thread somewhere in the 60 section though..... If I have time Ill have a gander and come up with some silly coments and ideas for you.

Brilliant thread title also.

Story of my fawkin life!.

Yeah, was totally awesome for a day or two there. I was actually somewhat pleased to figger out after a few hours that it was a back muscle and not my kidney exploding. Was in that vicinity. Hadn't pulled a muscle in that region before.

Perfect time to be messing with a 100 lb truck bumper..:bang:

Ah well. Pain is just weakness leaving the body. A couple more days of vigorous self medication and I'll be good as new.:hillbilly:

Lookin good, I cant believe I still have a stock front bumper.....

Me neither:flipoff2:
I figgured you'd be hanging onto those tyres! Backside still a bit tender is it :D

Sometimes late at night...after thinking about it, I curl up in the fetal position and cry.
I'm friggin stumped on the colour.... there is a two tone paint pic thread somewhere in the 60 section though..... If I have time Ill have a gander and come up with some silly coments and ideas for you.

Brilliant thread title also.

I know. weird colour. Probably just end up going with some more black, but I don't want it to look too ghetto.
Nothing screams "please officer, pull me over" like flat black. :rolleyes:

Hell, maybe I'll just get some more of the champagne. By the time I do all the touch ups it's not like there'll be much of the original left. Not like I'm going to be fussy about it, but it could stand to look a smidge better.

Needs a 10 foot paint job, right now it's clocking in at about a 1/4 mile.

As for thread title, thanks, thought about it a lot.:hillbilly:

I know. weird colour. Probably just end up going with some more black, but I don't want it to look too ghetto.
Nothing screams "please officer, pull me over" like flat black. :rolleyes:

Incorrect.... i think that red front clip with black fiberglass fenders, aluminum tub, and primer hard top with no doors and no rear window are yelling a little louder... :hillbilly:

Right.

I have opinions.

top pic...

IMO this 2-tone is too busy, the ftont looks dis-proportionate and the bits of paint on the pillars looks like crap. It messes with the lines too much and since the 60 is more or less a box why cover it in swooping paint colours? Although many people seem to do it. :bang:

other pic....

Love it. Nice straight lines, my favourite colours as well. The 60's are big straight lined bricks.... the paint should be as well. Much like Gwen Stefani, show off the flatness it works. Also, I much prefer the LC rims with the hubcaps painted up all nice rather than the cromies seen here.

I think "esh" has a good set up on paint Ill try to dig a pic of that rig up.

Just ideas.

Haven't come up with a colour combo yet.

Paint is such a personal thing its hard to argue based on any rational reasons. All personal preference.

tint.jpg

d9_1.jpg

Cool thanks.

Yeah I like the second scheme too.( First pic reminds me of a range rover for some reason...:hmm:

That's the line I was thinking of painting below. The black on mine is rockerguard, which I don't mind, because there's lots of wobbles and lumps down there that it hides a bit. It's just peely and crappy at the moment.

But I'm too lazy to strip it off, so I'll probably keep some black on the bottom.

My truck is nowhere near clean enough for paint that shiny ...

I'm not above rockin' the tremclad on this truck either. I see they sell tintable base tremclad now...

Last edited:
How does one strip rock guard?
I would probably just paint over it if it's a 10ft paint job

Your a sucker for punishment...

Your a sucker for punishment...

some would say I'd be more of a sucker for punishment if I kept driving a 40 to work every day..:lol:

But nah, I'm not too concerned about making this all purty.. Just a little freshen up and drive the damn thing.

I'd love to have bought one as clean as the white one shibuba is selling, but the cheapness is strong in this one.

How does one strip rock guard?
I would probably just paint over it if it's a 10ft paint job

Lots of ways to strip it off. but in this case, 40 grit, wire brush and more rocker guard is probably the ticket.

The genius who owned my 45 before me used Ashphalt undercoating on the whole cab.

Not the rubberized stuff...:bang:

Actually got sticky and oily in the sun, 45's working title for the first while was "tarbaby" until I was informed that wasn't particularly pc...:lol:

Now THAT was a nasty job to clean up..

some would say I'd be more of a sucker for punishment if I kept driving a 40 to work every day..:lol:

Even with radials? I forgot what its like to commute with a 40, I have only driven mine to work a couple times in the last 12 years. And when I commute twice a month it wouldn't be bad if I did! Hell I've only driven mine a couple times in the last 6 months. Damn I gotta get out in it soon. I gotta go wheeling!

Even with radials? I forgot what its like to commute with a 40, I have only driven mine to work a couple times in the last 12 years. And when I commute twice a month it wouldn't be bad if I did! Hell I've only driven mine a couple times in the last 6 months. Damn I gotta get out in it soon. I gotta go wheeling!

Yeah, 40's are kinda loud. :lol:

it's not so much that tho, I can live with driving a 40 if it's just me, did the nanaimo to maple bay drive in the old crackwhore for years no biggee.

I'd keep both no question if I was a little more flush, but it's enough work just keeping one of these old things on the road let alone two.

Buncha reasons, the massive amounts of space in a 60 is definately up there, and the dogs didn't like the 42 much. Back seat is handy for work...etc.

I loved the space and comfort of the 80 I had, but I hated the gayness....:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom