60 springs in rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.imagestation.com
Other than the difference in bushings and bolts on the 60 series springs would they be a good swap in a 40 with soa to get some more wheelbase?

Has anyone tried this??

But the thing is I have never seen a 55 or even heard of one in b.c. and I have some 60 series springs in my backyard?

are fhe fj 55 springs using the same bushings and pins as the 40 series??

check the width of the springs, FJ40's in the 80's changed (I believe) to a slightly wider spring with larger diameter pins. Not sure if they stayed the same into the 60 series.

i've researched this for a sua design. they are wider springs than the 40's, with bigger bushings, so you either can use 60 series spring mounts, or widen your 40 series mounts. they are longer, with a different pin offset, so you will gain wheelbase, and they do flex well, although in the lighter 40, you may want to look at taking a leaf or two out, depending on your setup, but knock it together as is, then you can play with getting the right amount of leaves.

apart from the difference in width, pin size and bushings, it's the same tech involved in a 60 series spring swap as a 55 series.

only use the rear 60 springs, as the front springs are about the same length as a 40's spring, gaining you nothing. but you could use 60 rear springs in the front and rear of the 40, as woody has done with the 55 springs

I used 60 front and rear springs in my 40, but had to change the spring bush chassis mounts to later [81 0n] 40 ones.

Pics here you can see the front shackle reversal, etc.
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/pictures/reader_darren.htm

We turned the rear spring mounts around so they were flush with the back of the chassis, and redrilled the housings off centre to make 98" wheelbase.

I also swapped the rear shocks to the back of the crossmember to allow for the moving back of the back diff. The front diff was moved forward 2 " and fitted with 75 series power steering and arms.

We also made the shackles at the rear of the front springs, and like a hilux by welding a sleeve into the chassis rail.

The whole thing worked really well.

so the 81 40 mounts fit 60 springs? never thought of that

i'll probably get 60 spring mounts, and redrill them forward of stock to keep stock wheelbase. it's a dd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom