60-series e-brake handle restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WoodnotRust

SILVER Star
Threads
This is a "one banana" job. I've always wanted to write that and it seems appropriate since most of my auto skills are of the one banana variety.

Last year when I started this restoration process, my crusty old e-brake handle was one of the main cosmetic details that screamed "fix me". I looked everywhere for a quality replacement and even posted a want-ad on MUD. Nothing. Yesterday I'd pretty much completed everything on my list and when I installed my refurbished center console I realized I wasn't afraid of my e-brake handle any longer. Actually, it is really easy to fix and probably took about 1 hour of work over a 5 hour period (time needed for epoxy and paint to dry).

IMG_6931.jpeg

Supplies needed:
SEM cordovan brown or appropriate color. SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter (69863), Rustoleum 2X Satin Clear, rubbing alcohol, 100 to 400 grit sandpaper. I used JBWeld PlasticWeld filler because they advertised it was flexible, but at the last minute I read that this doesn't adhere to Polyethylene plastics. The handle seems kinda squishy so it might be a soft plastic of that type. If you can find a flexible filler that works with soft plastics...then use that. For me, so far it appears that the JBWeld PlasticWeld filler is OK, but challenging.

Steps:
1. remove the front seat, center console and the e-brake boot cover. Mask the metal part of the e-brake handle, adjacent seats and carpet with newspaper and masking tape. Mask off plastic push knob to avoid scratching this, but take off later if you want to paint the knob.
2. Don't use soap. Clean off handle with rubbing alcohol and rough-up with 100 grit sandpaper. If your handle is in really good physical condition (no deep gouges or scratches), then skip steps 3 to 5.
3. Wipe off all dust again with alcohol.
4. Knead the 2-part PlasticWeld epoxy and apply with fingers. This is really stiff, pasty stuff, so you'll need to press this in very firmly and push off any excess. If you can add something to the JB Weld to make it creamier or use a different filler, then that would be preferable.
5. Wait 4 hours or so to let the epoxy set
6. Sand smooth starting with 240 grit and working your way up to 400 grit.
7. Spray a light coat of SEM adhesion promoter, wait 5 minutes and then spray a full coat. Wait 30 minutes before color coat.
8. Spray 3-5 light color coats waiting about 7 minutes between coats. Wait 30 minutes before clear coat
9. Spray 3-4 clear coats waiting 7 minutes between coats.
10. Put everything back. DONE.

IMG_0079.jpeg

IMG_0084.jpeg

IMG_0087.jpeg

Last edited:
Supplies needed:
SEM cordovan brown or appropriate color. SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter (69863), Rustoleum 2X Satin Clear, rubbing alcohol, 100 to 400 grit sandpaper. I used JBWeld Plastic filler because they advertised it was flexible, but at the last minute I read that this doesn't adhere to Polyethylene plastics. The handle seems kinda squishy so it might be a soft plastic of that type. If you can find a flexible filler that works with soft plastics...then use that. For me, so far it appears that the JBWeld plastic filler is OK, but challenging.

Steps:
1. remove the front seat, center console and the e-brake boot cover. Mask the metal part of the e-brake handle, adjacent seats and carpet with newspaper and masking tape. Mask off plastic push knob to avoid scratching this, but take off later if you want to paint the knob.
2. Don't use soap. Clean off handle with rubbing alcohol and rough-up with 100 grit sandpaper. If your handle is in really good physical condition (no deep gouges or scratches), then skip steps 3 to 5.
3. Wipe off all dust again with alcohol.
4. Mix the JB Weld plastic and apply with fingers. This is really stiff, pasty stuff, so you'll need to press this in very firmly and push off any excess. If you can add something to the JB Weld to make it creamier or use a different filler, then that would be preferable.
5. Wait 4 hours or so to let the epoxy set
6. Sand smooth starting with 240 grit and working your way up to 400 grit.
7. Spray a light coat of SEM adhesion promoter, wait 5 minutes and then spray a full coat. Wait 30 minutes before color coat.
8. Spray 3-5 light color coats waiting about 7 minutes between coats. Wait 30 minutes before clear coat
9. Spray 3-4 clear coats waiting 7 minutes between coats.
10. Put everything back. DONE.

View attachment 2853880

View attachment 2853881

View attachment 2853889
GOOD JOB!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom