60 series CB/Radio Combo Antenna Mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just a tech related question to this...

When ordering the Firering cable do we need the cable with the K4R stud (K4R18) or is just the cable (K-8R18) used?

I'm not seeing where the K4R stud is used on the WagonGear writeup, so I'm guessing I'm good with the cable alone (K-8R18).

Dan

You will need the K4 mounting stud. The insulating washers from that kit will be used with the cable. The coupling will be used top side to mount the antenna to the long rod coming out of the top of the fender.

J

You will need the K4 mounting stud. The insulating washers from that kit will be used with the cable. The coupling will be used top side to mount the antenna to the long rod coming out of the top of the fender.

That's why I ask! Makes perfect sense.

Dan

I cannot get the swr down past 3 with a 2 foot antenna. I ordered a 4 footer and will check with it as soon as it comes in. I have torn it all down twice to check the ground and to make sure I put it together right. Still no joy. :mad:

I cannot get the swr down past 3 with a 2 foot antenna. I ordered a 4 footer and will check with it as soon as it comes in. I have torn it all down twice to check the ground and to make sure I put it together right. Still no joy. :mad:

Are you at a 3 across all channels?

Yes actually higher. I don't know what is up? That usually means a bad ground but I have checked it. The radio works so it's not the splitter is it? I am still using the factory ground wire that goes to the firewall/wiper motor. I wired up a temporary ground to the battery and it didn't change anything. The 4' antenna just got here today. I will install and get back if that makes a difference. If it doesn't it has to be in the wiring somewhere. I hope.

Yes actually higher. I don't know what is up? That usually means a bad ground but I have checked it. The radio works so it's not the splitter is it? I am still using the factory ground wire that goes to the firewall/wiper motor. I wired up a temporary ground to the battery and it didn't change anything. The 4' antenna just got here today. I will install and get back if that makes a difference. If it doesn't it has to be in the wiring somewhere. I hope.

I originally ran a 4' with no issues. Changed to a 2' to run the rig in and out of the garage without taking the antenna odd daily on my old rig. I never got a good SWR reading 2.4-3.3 with the 2'. I assumed the ground had came loose or the wire itself was bad. Took it to a truckstop with a radio shop and the guy just laughed. Got a new tunable 2' and within 10 min he had it at 2.3-2.5 across the channels. He said that he sold a ton of 2' antennae. He said they are a PITA to set up (Firestik in particular) and most guys screw up/damage the cb trying to tune them.

He said very few times was it a ground issue... has had a few bad coaxial sections.... but usually it is the antenna itself on the shorter cheap antennae.

Hope you get it figured out.

J

I originally ran a 4' with no issues. Changed to a 2' to run the rig in and out of the garage without taking the antenna odd daily on my old rig. I never got a good SWR reading 2.4-3.3 with the 2'. I assumed the ground had came loose or the wire itself was bad. Took it to a truckstop with a radio shop and the guy just laughed. Got a new tunable 2' and within 10 min he had it at 2.3-2.5 across the channels. He said that he sold a ton of 2' antennae. He said they are a PITA to set up (Firestik in particular) and most guys screw up/damage the cb trying to tune them.

He said very few times was it a ground issue... has had a few bad coaxial sections.... but usually it is the antenna itself on the shorter cheap antennae.

Hope you get it figured out.

J

Thanks J, that helps a lot man. And that is exactly why I got the 2 footer first. I garage my junk. I figured it was just the antennae being so short and from what you say I hope that is the case. Chasing wiring issues on brand new stuff I just installed would be a big PIA. When I get a chance to install and tune the 4 footer I will post up the results.

If the 4 footer works I will put the 2 footer back on for the gayrog and throw the 4 footer on when the cb is needed.

J,

I finally got around to installing my CB antenna using your mount today! I'll get it wired up this weekend and see if I can talk to some big rigs! In the meantime, it sure looks good. Lol

IMGP4781-XL.jpg

IMGP4780-XL.jpg

IMGP4778-XL.jpg

IMGP4779-XL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom