60 Series 2F Engine Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for guidance on a 2F engine rebuild. Live in Pittsburgh, PA. Where on the east coast can i send the engine to get rebuilt? Haven’t found anyone in the area who will touch it.

Thanks,
Josh

Have you considered just dropping in a used engine? There are tons of rusty 60s with good engines. Likely much cheaper than a rebuild.

Have you considered just dropping in a used engine? There are tons of rusty 60s with good engines. Likely much cheaper than a rebuild.
I hadn’t because I wanted to keep all the numbers original. I will do some digging to see what I can find a good running 2F engine.

Current engine has a knock in lower engine when revved. Is it wise to just replace main bearings?

Looking for guidance on a 2F engine rebuild.
Rebuild it yourself. You can probably find a good machine shop in town. Any shop that can work on an old Chevy straight six can work on a 2F.
They are not hard to rebuild, just kinda heavy.
I rebuilt my 2F about 20 years ago. First try. Still running it today.

Rebuild it yourself. You can probably find a good machine shop in town. Any shop that can work on an old Chevy straight six can work on a 2F.
They are not hard to rebuild, just kinda heavy.
I rebuilt my 2F about 20 years ago. First try. Still running it today.
I am going to take your advice and go at it on my own. Appreciate everyone’s help.

Thanks!

@NMgrown , if you can find a shop where the equipment looks like it was new early to mid last century n the guy running the place looks like he could be an old uncle, you've found the right place for your engine

I've had two engines rebuilt by a shop (no longer in business) that was behind a house and looked like derelicts ran it. The owner was old as dirt and used Vaseline as an assembly lube. Both rebuilt engines (a 2F and 3FE) each have about 300k on them and still have good compression and no significant oil consumption.

I am going to take your advice and go at it on my own. Appreciate everyone’s help.

Thanks!
Good.
I had my machine shop order the parts and pieces for me to assemble, that way it all fit. I had the rotating bits balanced. You're going to need a big engine stand. No, bigger than that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom