60 / 61 / 62 Series Lock & Key Repair Re-Key & Re-Coding ALL things LOCK SMITH Technical Shop Resource (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today , we are Re-coding / Re-keying a 1989 FJ62 Ignition Lock Cylinder , My Client provided his Factory Key Code , so i was able to

use my SST Machine & Cut a crisp , sharp , fresh & true OEM Key Blank , I then extract the tumbler Core with a SST locksmith tool .

then the Phun really begins , as I swap out the various Tumblers to match the new Key code , once that is complete i re-install

the Tumbler Core , Test key both sides / flip again , then once more . Success ! , the lock assy. operates smoothy ..............

time for a 🍺

Last edited:
OK,

next up is a Fuel Door Lock Cylinder Repair & Re-code / Re-Key due to attempted forced entry .............

- First the Face cap is CUT off and pried clean away

- Next the Tumbler core is extracted using a locksmith SST

- The tumbler core is de-greased , & Media blasted , this one was heavily corroded BAD

- now, I measure the Cut Depths using a SST and install the correct corresponding # tumblers with all new springs as well

- i lube everything up with di-electric grease and then big moment , The key turns and rotates Freely !

- now its 🍺 time

- i then use another SST to press on the New face cap with 32 lbs of pressure / force

- The Repair and finished End product operates smoothly & has a Factory Level of High appearance & Finish as well ,

Primarily as a result of Media Blasting the parts post cleaning , & SST install of New stainless steel OEM Face Cap

Take Note the Key Code stamped on the side shaft of this OEM Toyota Master Factory Key

Last edited:
in the process of putting together the unobtainable in Lock and Key repair , a FULL NOS Set of 1985 FJ60 Locks all keys allike for

another member , turning out to be a but kicker , but we are making progress , got the rear hatch , fuel door , and passenger side front

door all re-keyed / re coded tonight , had to hit the old T-Ten books for the rear hatch , whip out a SST i have not touched in over 20+ years !

so here we go ....

Last edited:
If u can't Buy 69005-90A17 , 1985 FJ60

Make it ................:poof:

Note: All Lock's keyed alike ,

Complete 8pc every style Master key's

&

I always throw in as a Client thank-you Gift , a complete set of New Black Rubber Lock Cylinder Contact surface Pads ...........:grinpimp:

Last edited:

Last edited:
Man! I just rebuilt my passenger side with spare parts redneck style and it was a pain in the butt! And I reused the cover since I don't have your special pieces and the SST swaging tool. I can see the big difference between my work and the brand new looking stuff you do.

Thanks for sharing all your work. It's really enjoyable to see how it's done professionally. Makes me question whether I send you my driver's side and ignition for a cleanup. hmm.

Can you elaborate on why dielectric grease is used over other options?

Thanks ! :grinpimp:

I use a Full Synthetic Di-Electric Grease , its a Marine Grade Product / Brand

It covers a wide range of applications , but most importantly it has a Thinner-a-bit Viscosity that flows both through my Epoxy Syringe ,

& into all the crevices and cracks of a Lock Cylinder for Maximum Penetration & Lubrication from the onset , traditional wheel bearing

grease would be way to thick to achieve this

Artwork9_b06f510b-b97c-4f5e-bb39-4a78a0b360c8@0.5x-100.jpg

Wow. Outstanding attention to detail and factory spec!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom