6.2 GM Conversions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering if you have any links on people who have converted a FJ40, FJ55 or FJ60. I currently have a FJ55 that I am working on. I purchase a CUCV Military truck for the Dana 60 and 14B FF. I was possibly thinking of using the 6.2 diesel engine (68K miles on motor, looks well taken care of) since it looks pretty healthy. I also have a SBC350 matted to a Toy Trans and TCase.

If you can help with links on the 6.2 GM Diesel conversions, I would really, really appreciate your help.

I tried the search function, but had no luck.

Have a good one

Thanks.

Hi,

I didn't believe you when you said you tried the search function! But after a few attempts I have to agree: searches for "6.2" or "6.2L" returned zilch.

Type in "conversions" and select the search within thread titles and within diesel tech and 24 volts.

You will have to pick through them but there are some good threads in there.

Happy hunting!

Rick

Howdy! Try Google for 6.2 diesel, or Detroit, or Chevy. There is a ton of generic info out there on what it can be mated up to, how to prevent the more common problems, size, weight, power, etc. John

I've converted a 60

LC

For size, power and weight they are a great match for a cruiser.
Also fairly easy to install.

Not totally a bolt in though. Usually the diesel starters won't fit in a gasser bell housing. Wouldn't work for me, although i have seen somewhere on the net someone ground enough on a Chevy car bell housing for it to fit.
The Downey and AA V8 conversion bell housings don't have a big enough starter hole to be modified.

If you want to drive comfortably at highway speeds, an OD is a must. At least an OD in the 25% to 30% range like a 700R4 or NV4500. Even the H55's OD isn't enough.

6.2 Diesel

FL:

Great write up.

Not really looking to "cruise" on my cruiser. The PIG will see mostly rough terrain, mostly trails and some mud. So running a TH400 or 700 is not really necessary. I am looking for low end torque to climb obstacles SM465 has a granny gear and will be matted to a NP205, pretty solid set up.

I hope this project does not get out of hand (meaning it becomes too much to handle). From the looks of it (judging from your build) it's not that bad, somewhat similiar to the SBC350 conversion.

Guys,

Thanks for replying to my thread. I truly appreciate it. I8MUD members are class act people always willing to help.

Know the time has come. I made my decision and I am going with the 6.2. Tear down of the CUCV military truck begins this weekend, lucky for me I have a couple of friends that are going to lend a hand.

This time I am really going to look for my camera so that I can snap some pictures of the project.

Here is the build thread on my FZJ80 6.2 conversion.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/184299-94-fzj80-6-2-conversion-begins.html
This might give you a little more information. It was fairly easy to do, I think a 40 or 60 series would be even easier.
I looked at FL cruisers site a bit for ideas and motivation, he and others on this forum were a huge help in the completion of my conversion.
As was stated, this engine is a great fit for any Cruiser, I loved it (wish in many ways I still had it!)
Good luck and post some pics!
Rusty

Rusty,

I did go through your thread. Thought it was very informative. Sorry to hear the you do not have it anymore.

I do have a question(s) for you. The 6.2 is a 24v engine. How did you wire up the essentials i.e speedo, tach and the rest of the electronics. My assumption is that the OE electrical was 12v. I am stumped as to how I am going to wire up my 12v electronics... CB radio, radio, off road light, winch... Tach, gauges in general. If you can help with a little direction. I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The engine is very easy to convert to 12V, just change out the Fuel Cutoff switch on the IP, the Glow Plugs and alternator if you have one on your engine.
The speedometer is mechanical, the tach can be done but it reuires a couple of converters that were a bit expensive and required a digital tach to calibrate it. So I bought a Tiny Tach and installed it on my dash. My plan was to use the Tiny Tach to use temporarily and to calibrate the factory tach but I never got around to it, and the Tiny tach worked great.
As far as the rest of the wiring, I really hate wiring, and don't know much about it at all but the conversion was pretty simple. As you take your wires off of your old engine make sure you label them. You will only need a couple of them, the alternator wire that goes to the dash, starter, A/C (if you have it) and a couple others I am not thinking of right now. I made my own glow plug harness and bought a variable glow plug timer that wired through the ignition so it was just like a stock set-up.
I really can't believe I sold it but the Mercedes was the vehicle I wanted before I converted the Land Cruiser, I searched for one for about a year and thought I would never find one (especially in my price range) Then as luck would have it one came along after I built the Land Cruiser!
In some ways I like the 6.2 Land Cruiser better but the Mercedes is a pretty incredible vehicle so I plan to keep it. My son is about to start driving a 97 FZJ80 that we put together for him so there is still a Land Cruiser in the family.
Rusty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom