5L Cylinder head to 3L engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
I am fairly new here. Found this forum quite some time ago and got few hints for my since then.

I drive Toyota 4runner with 3L engine with 2lte Cylinder head with turbo. It worked fine till couple weaks ago my radiator cap got old and drained coolant out, so basically I am sure my cylinder head has a crack in it. The hoses are more under pressure then they used, thats how I know.

Now my problem is, because of my location (Tbilisi Georgia) I cannot get hands on Genuine parts without overpaying.
I was wondering if I could fit 5L head cylinder to my 3Lengine block? as far as I searched and read, there are no mechanical differences other then fuel injection system. I can get my hands on good 5L cylinder head for a good price you see.
If it doesn't fit, please provide where can I order the mentioned cylinder head for my poor baby?as i see Ausies and Canada loves these cars. I am offered the chinese cylinder heads for price of 300$

Thanks in advance for your help.

George

From what I've read, the 5L head won't work on the 2L/3L series engines. I think the cylinder head is taller, so the timing belt does not fit. Can't use the 2L/3L timing belt as it's too short, and can't use the 5L as it's too long (I think the 5L block is taller too). Something like that. I read it on the this forum years ago: https://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/ .

After some digging I found that 3L and 5L cylinder heads are interchangeable. The difference is in the block height only. I found the supplier in Australia. Will install it and update here.
Thanks
GTSSportCoupe

After some digging I found that 3L and 5L cylinder heads are interchangeable. The difference is in the block height only. I found the supplier in Australia. Will install it and update here.
Thanks
GTSSportCoupe

Probably a long shot but would be cool to get an update on this install if the OP is ever active here again.

I believe the 5L valves are larger than the 3L, but uses the same cam. Looking at pictures the passages all look like they *should* line up.

Probably a long shot but would be cool to get an update on this install if the OP is ever active here again.

I believe the 5L valves are larger than the 3L, but uses the same cam. Looking at pictures the passages all look like they *should* line up.
Hi,

I will of course update the project here. By the end of the August my 5L engine head will be delivered. I will install it early autumn and will try to photo the progress.

Hi,

I will of course update the project here. By the end of the August my 5L engine head will be delivered. I will install it early autumn and will try to photo the progress.

That would be great, thanks! If you get a chance maybe check the valve dimensions against your 3L too ...

And FYI I did look up all the timing belt PNs for the 2LTE/3L/5L and they all are replaced by the same number, so that shouldn’t be an issue

I have checked it several years ago, and they were exactly the same as I remember. I will confirm it as soon as I dismantle my engine and put he two heads together.

The 3L and 5L heads are interchangeable, the 5L should have slightly bigger valves but this doesnt make any noticable difference. The 5LE has a different cam which gives a bit of a power in the higher rev ranges. Make sure you get the head gasket to match your cylinder head as some water ports are blocked off on certain heads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom