55 question??

A buddy of mine is looking a purchasing a 'rolling' mid 70's 55. It has no engine or trans. We would like to swap in 2F+tranny out of an 82-84 FJ60. What kind of problems are we going to encounter if any? I will get more specific on the vehicle years as soon as I talk to my buddy!
:banana:

FJBen

SILVER Star
oh "rolling" FJ55...I thought you meant "rolled" fj55...cause I could help ya out there :doh:

Check out the 55 section here on mud...plenty of help there

FJBen said:
oh "rolling" FJ55...I thought you meant "rolled" fj55...cause I

at least you have a sense of humor about it Ben :)

one bt of advice to your buddy... buy the "rooling" 55 with the least amount of rust even if it costs a little more.. it will be well worth it down the road unless he wants to become or is in to fabricating replacement panels:D

I have used the 'search' for the information that I am looking for and haven't found anything helpful yet. If any one knows of an old post regarding this question I'd be happy to follow the link. Any how the 55 that my buddy is looking at is free of any serious rot. At least thats what the pictures showed. The under side of the doors look good, floor good, side panels good, surface rust on the roof. Any help would be great.

Pighead

Stop calling it an FJ
Well, to get back to your original question, Rusty79; the 2F will fit in the without too many problems. The front motor mounts are a little different, with bigger bolts used on the later models. Throttle linkage might be a problem. Don't know about the tranny. Is it the same 4 speed that came in later Pigs? And didn't some 60s have a rear crossmember to hold the tranny up? What transfer case? May need some driveshaft work...

Bolt it up!

No rust and it is located in 'Salt' Lake City??

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
The four-speed transmission while somewhat similar to the four speed that was in the 55, does have some significant differences; 19 spline output and split transfer case in the 60 series, opposed to the 16 spline output four speed transmission that used the one piece transfer case. The transmission from the 60 series will also have the provisions cast into the bottom of the housing to use as the rear crossmember/rear engine mount. This is a different set up than what the 55 had in it originally. The rear engine mounts were on the flywheel housing in the 55.

If you can, get the crossmember and brackets that mount on the frame of the 60 series and modify them to work in the 55.

Good luck!

-Steve

rusty, if your going to keep the 55 case then do yourself a favor and get an early four speed, there is no benefit to the later four speed except the split case behind it.

heres the basic breakdown to put the 60 series 2F, tranny and split case in the pig. if your keeping the 55 case disregard some of these.

drill and tap holes in the bellhousing for the 55 type tranny mounts if you dont wanna mess with the 60 crossmember, everything is there and in the right place just need threaded holes. engine motor mounts the same.

trade the 60 series water pump and pully for the earlier style found in the 55, its about 1 1/2" too long for the pig.

need to relocate the tranny shifter hole in the hump back 2" to clear the shifter, transfer stick is fine.

rear driveshaft shortened, front is good.

then wiring for the elctric dizzy and alt unless you will use the 55 alt.

may need a little different plumbing for heater, vary upon years.

and thats all i can think of.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
RHINO said:
rusty, if your going to keep the 55 case then do yourself a favor and get an early four speed, there is no benefit to the later four speed except the split case behind it.

" A buddy of mine is looking a purchasing a 'rolling' mid 70's 55. It has no engine or trans. We would like to swap in 2F+tranny out of an 82-84 FJ60. "

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom