5280's Paint Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I started the paint prep for my 60 over the weekend.

Here is my game plan.

I have very limited space in my Garage, so i will be taking all of the body panels that i can off the truck and painting them individually.

The hood, then the front fenders, then the Doors, hatch and tailgate. Once all those are done, It will probably be well into spring, and I will be able to paint the rest of the body in my Driveway outside.

Did I mention I will be rolling on Rustoleum?

Color: I selected the Rustoleum Professional "Sand" Color, but, like others, decided it looked a little too peach colored, so I decided to experiment with mixing in "Smoke Grey" a different color of the same type paint.

Here is the results of mixing 3 parts "sand"
to 1 part "smoke grey"

this is a photo of my Hood with the sanding almost complete. The box on top has two color sample painted on it. The right side is the "sand". The left side is the Mixture.

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

I am excited to see how it goes on. I'll be finishing the sanding and starting the first coats in the next few days.

More pics to follow!

Last edited:
Yep, the left side looks more like it belongs on a cruiser. Good choice.

First paint went on yesterday. here's a shot of the hood all sanded and cleaned with mineral spirits.

IMG_1017.jpg

Paint in pan ready to go.

IMG_1019.jpg

Here's the first coat . It went on just like all the posting on the internet said, but man! there were alot of bubbles! I got rid of them by blowing on them, and eventually figured out the correct roller speed (slow!) to keep them from forming.

IMG_1020.jpg

In this shot below, you can see some of the sanded areas still visible under the first coat. All the walk throughs for the roller method, say you don't need primer over the bare metal. Hope so!

IMG_1026.jpg

Heres the second coat on the hood, I just finished it up this morning. Hopefully I can wetsand and get another coat on tonight.

IMG_1027.jpg

closeup -
IMG_1028.jpg

Following your progress closely

Your job looks awesome so far. Curious to see the new pics. I am getting ready to do the same method on my FJ40. Are the sanded areas blending better now?
Tom

Third coat - You can still see the primer but it's getting better each coat.

IMG_1030.jpg

the wetsanding helped smooth the oarnge peel areas

I have 4-5 more coats to go, Im really starting to feel good about it!

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

looks great.. how are you breathing when you do this. The garage door is closed in every pic.

I really haven't been bothered by the fumes.:eek:

The Sanding was the worst! I had a mask on, but the dust got on everything!

Sanding before and during

What grit did you presand with? did you have to wet sand smooth?
What are you using to wet sand between coats? It really looks amazing. Thanks for documenting the job for evryone.
Tom
74 FJ40

Thanks alot!:)

I used 220 grit to sand the old paint. Then I used 400 to once over everything. All of this was dry sanding. On the really flat areas I used an orbital sander, everywhere else I used blocks. the blocks i am using are a small peice of 2x4 (about 5") with the sand paper stapled to it, and an even smaller peice of 3/4" plywood that i cut 1" x 3". Anywhere there is a curve in the metal, I used my fingers to hand sand it.

After the first two coats I used 600 grit and wet sanded. after the next two coats it will be 800, then 1000, then 1500, then a once over w. 2000.

It's taken me exactly a week to get half of the coats on the hood,

takes forever for the paint to dry - you can only get one coat on a day.

I read a little futher on the Mopar $50 paint job thread the last few days.

Im changing my gameplan for the sanding between coats.

I have 6 coats down now and i am wet sanding with 1000 grit for this next coat.

then i will wet sand with 1000 again lightly , and maybe a little bit with 1500, then on to buffing out the shine! Almost done!

WITH THE HOOD.......:doh:

lot's of labour eh? Did you look at the thread I posted in your other thread? :)

It took me soo long........ But looks nice.

I even used 2000 grit. Which cuts down on the polishing.

Hint; use masking tape when wetsanding on the raised edges. Just stick it down to just cover and edge. Then it prevents you for over doing it on the edges and burning thru.

Magazine Article

5280, I was at the Barnes and Noble this morning and saw Hot-Rod magazine with an article entitled "$98 paint job" which was a roller paint job using rust-o-leum.

It was similar to all the $50 articles, but might be worth browsing to give you some more tips.

As a side note - their first coat looked like yours with little coverage and patches visible.

EDIT: Here is the link - http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/body/hrdp_0707_1962_ford_falcon_budget_paint_job/index.html

Last edited:
Wow,

this is getting to be a pretty popular way to get paint on a car...Thanks, project60, for the link!

I had to stop for a few days to help my wife finish our Bathroom remodel. I have one coat left for the hood, then i can buff it out. Ill post a pic of the final product.

Final coat on the Hood.

So, do i want to finely sand now with 2000, and then buff, or should i just buff it after the paint dries???

It looks damn good after the paint is dry - right before i go to sand it, except it's impossible to keep little flecks of stuff out of it.

While i was waiting for the paint to dry i pulled the driver fender.:grinpimp:

IMG_1078.jpg

Can they match colors or do you have to go with what is on the shelf? I would love to do my olive brown this way but only if I can get that color. Thanks

Can they match colors or do you have to go with what is on the shelf? I would love to do my olive brown this way but only if I can get that color. Thanks

Apparentley Ace Hardware sells a similar tintable high strength enamel, so you can match that. but the Rustoleum professional, isn't matchable.

I'm using the ACE stuff now. Works great. They can just scan the color and match like regular paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom