5 speed tranny mount issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1980 (Nov 79) BJ40, with a 3B,

I've dropped my 4 speed and transfer case (the case grenaded), and pulled a 5 gear out of an '84 BJ60, on my 4 speed, the tranny mount was under the bellhousing, on the 5 gear it was under the transmission.

I have the 5 gear bolted in, and hanging off the bellhousing, with the 4 speed member in place, supporting the bellhousing...

should I drill the frame, move the L brackets back, and support the 5 speed under the transmission? or is it ok using the stock location, and have all that weight basically hanging off the 4 bolts and the bellhousing? I'd rather not do the frame drilling etc, I have the transmission and case in place, and it was a PITA to get it there, and i can't really drill etc with it hanging there...

Any comments would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Mike,
i have ran the H55F in one of my bush beaters off the 4 bellhousing bolts and the bellhousing mount for a few years bouncing in the bush on speed runs, dragging it over rocks and logs etc etc. ask anyone that wheels with me, i am not easy on my rigs.
never an issue, no stress cracks, no rips in the frame. nothing.
stick the friggin thing in and drive it. if you wish to play with it in the summer then do so.
the bloody thing is only 3" longer, it isn't like you are hanging a second tranny off the 4 BEEFY bolts. remember it is a cast bellhousing, not the newer aluminum one. it is strong.

come summer you can do what you wish...

Wayne's answer is a good one. I basically agree with him

It is also an easy task to make a crossmember that bolts into welded on tabs on each side of the frame ( forget the factory style crossmember, that thing is a PITA). No drilling on the frame required.

We retrofitted an late model H42 and split case behind a 400 SBC in a '40 a couple of months ago. In this case since there were no mounts between the bell housing and the frame and we really wanted to get rid of the "conversion crossmember" on the back of the TC, we installed a crossmember using the tranny mount. I'll see if I can get some photos of the crossmember approach next time it is out at the shop and post them up.

Mark...

yep, find a wrecked BJ42 81 to 84
buy the cross menber and the L brackets
bolt all together and mount to tranny.
weld the brackets to the frame

done.

60 series will not work without mods.

the problem lies with removing the tranny once the L brackets are installed. it can become a bitch.

Yep, the restrictive fit was one reason we passed on using the factory xmember too and made a different setup that does not use any brackets inside the frame.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom