5.7 Vortec into Vintage Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I built a first gen 5.7 Vortec (L31) with the intent of powering an FJ-40 with it.

However, a late 1970s vintage 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy pickup, in excellent condition, but in need of an engine is getting in line first.

I'm thinking a modern fuel injected engine is just the ticket for this great old truck.

I know it won't be a direct bolt-in but should be close. The first question that comes to mind is what do I need for a flywheel? While the Vortec was mated to an L460 automatic the truck will keep its 4 speed (prolly an SM 465).

I believe my L31 small block is externally balanced - so I won't be able to use the truck's flywheel correct?

Another question: The L31 is a two bolt main. I imagine the original 350 in the truck is 4. Will that really matter? Assuming the truck won't be abused as a mud bogger with 37s...

Thanks!
juane

I know this is old and maybe all over by now. Why can't you simply use the correct flywheel for the 5.7 vortec?

two bolt main engine is fine for any stock type use.

Thanks for the response.
The project did not happen.
The 5.7 is going into a 40.

I use the standard 5.7 vortec flywheel in my 99 5.7 vortec which mates to a marks adapter and then to a toyota 5 speed in my FJ60. I think you would just generally run the flywheel that matches your engine...and you would be good for GM V8 components.

Okay.
I bet you are enjoying that combination - 5.7, H55 and FJ-60.
I had a throttle body 5.7 mated to an NV4500 in an '84 60. A sweet rig. OME, custom bumpers and sliders, 4 wheel disks and all that....
Enjoyed the heck out of it for years including half dozen Cruise Moabs.
Then I sold it to build an 80.
Now the 80 is gone and I'm starting from scratch with a 40.
I paid to have the Chevy professionally installed in the 60 but intend to do the 40 myself.

Yeah I like my 60...with GM engine.

I will say this...I've been more than impressed with the off-road capability of the 80 series..with E-lockers, a mild lift and decent tires. The trucks will go just about anywhere regardless... Really impressive.

What might be in my future is a modified FJ80 with something like a GM 6.0 gas SBC and matching GM auto trans..then to Toyota components .

I can vouch for the superior off-roadability of an 80.
And yes, I agree, a Chevy-powered (or Toyota V8) FZJ-80 would be the ultimate rig.
What part of Alabama are you?
I'll be visiting my cousin in Tuscaloosa this summer.

I have an 83 fj40 with the 5.7 vortec, NV4500 5 speed , dakota digital gauges, 33's on oem 6 spoke steel rims. very driver friendly. 100 mph capable! check out pics in fj40 cross country expedition thread pg. 55 hope your build went well juane, it's a great setup.