5.3L Vortec Help!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up this 60 a while back. The swap was done and the owner gave up on it when he realized he lived in California and it would not pass emissions. Anyways, the rats called it home for a few years and played havoc on the wiring. I picked it up and went to work evicting the rats. I have corrected Most of the codes with the exception of 0342 (Cam Position) and 0154 (02 sensor) I replaced the cam sensor yesterday, still throwing the code. It has a horrible flat spot of the bottom but runs like a champ over +/- 2000 RPM . I tested the wiring to the cam sensor and am getting 12v and a good ground to the respective terminals so i believe the wiring is good. A brief history of repairs to get it to this point.
Re wire knock sensors
replace 1 injector
replace fuel pressure reg.
re wire MAF
replace intake gaskets
replace fuel filter
drain/replace fuel
Seafoam treatment (intake)
Seafoam treatment (vacuum port)
Seafoam treatment (gas tank
I am sure I missed a few things.
One thing I screwed up on is I did not drain the fuel initially. I ran old fuel through it for the first 10 hours of operation. Could the cats be shot? I think my next step is to cut the cats out and weld in strait pipes. The computer was set up to pass California emissions, can I bypass the cats without re flashing the computer? Any suggestions on the codes? This is my first fuel injected gas motor so bear with me. Thanks for any help.

Interesting story...

sounds like you still have wiring issues with the 02 sensor at least... did you check all the wiring from the sensor plug to the big computer plug?

You probably didn't hurt the cats... Do you have rear 02 sensors? If not, deleting them shouldn't be an issue because the appropriate codes have been turned off in the ECU. If you do have them you might as well delete them, then you'll have to take care of a few codes.

It does have rear sensors. I have not checked the wiring all the way back to the computer. Thanks

If it has rear sensors, then deleting the cats may throw a code. The rear sensors are there to monitor the condition/performance of the cats... so they "should" pick it up. The solution would be to get the software to turn those codes off, or send the ECU out to get it redone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom