5/1600 bug build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just wanted to post up where VTcruiser60 and I are at on our 5/1600 bug build. We are building this with a friend of ours (another cruiserhead) and hope to race the baja 250 or 500 by next year. Possibly this one if we get our act together.

Racing the Baja was a bucket list item we were talking about over a few beers. My wife bought me "from dust to glory"- a film about the baja race which is a must see. That fueled the build, and here we are.

Specs are a 1976 VW Bug, IRS rear and ball joint front. Originally an autostick with a blown motor.
when we got it.

wide1.jpg

wide2.jpg

Chassis is at VTcruiser60's house getting some welding done to it. It was blasted at the local toyota dealer, thanks to Dave at Heritage Toyota for letting us do it there cheap.

We cut off the ball joint clip and welded up a link pin front, much more travel and much stronger parts.

The rot was a bit worse than we had thought, so we cut it all out. A bit sad right now, but we have all the parts to get her back to rights.

vw006.jpg

vw007.jpg

When we bought it, I thought the 7 piece front end would work fine. After talking to some race guys, they said it might last the first half mile, then I would be picking up pieces of it all over the desert.

Cutting the nose off after pulling the fiberglass.

bugnew1227028.jpg

bugnew1227031.jpg

bugnew1227032.jpg

Most recent pics mocking up the race hood.

bugnew1227035.jpg

bugnew1227034.jpg

bugnew1227036.jpg

We are looking for some sponsors, and have been lucky so far to have a local tech shop offer to do the paint and some body work for us when chassis fab is done.

A friend with a local junkyard is getting us super cheap prices on parts for a sponsor tag on the finished car. Thanks to Jeffs Auto Salvage in Milton. We got our bus transmission and roller wheels from jeff, as well as a Link Pin front clip. IF you need vintage (50's-current) parts, he has a great selection.

Poor Wally's and another VT fab shop friend of his are doing up all the cage work for us. That is going to be extensive. Needs a stinger, rear engine guard and full SCORE legal cage, all Chromo.

and yes, I will proudly toss a YT sticker on the car when it is done.

Last edited:
Here are some rules for the 5/1600 class.

Stock wheelbase, rear arms can be +1" max
Must have stock trackwidth, no longer/wider front or rear arms or wider front beams
no coilovers. Multi shocks are OK, shock length is open.

Must be a stock 1600cc motor, no porting or polishing, stock carb
Transmission can be any vw trans.
Must run stock chassis and stock floorpans.

The parts we currently have are
New floors
New firewall mount
All new eurathane bushings throughout
Sway a way rear 28MM torsions
New spring plates
1988 Bus 6 rib transmission, 091 side shift, type 2 joints
Race hood
New heater channels and firewall on it's way
4 new Rear 14" stroke shocks
Rear arm and front arm box kits, rears are done with a triple shock mount.
Lots of other crap.

None of us know thing one about VW's, and are marignal mechanics. Fortunately, the VW is super simple and even I can work on it.

We have been selling off random crap to fund the build (like a porche trans I was given, and VTcruiser60 has been selling off stuff). These are not cheap to build, but they could be worse.

Just so you all know, we are by no means trying to be competitive. Winning cars in this class are in the $20-30K range. We are HOPING To finish, and will most likely not. Usually, 20-30% of these cars finish.

It is more about the adventure and the build.

This is amazing! I have always dreamed of doing one of the Baja races.

VW's are a blast to drive, 25+ years ago at Riverside Park in Agawam Mass. a group of us used to race VW's on tuesday nights! it was a great time. We used dual port,dual carb engines We could change engines between heats in 10-15 minutes! boy those were the days. Great project you have on your hands! You will have a lot of fun with that car.:cheers:

That is friggin' cool.

Are you doing all this work in an unheated, uninsulated garage? Brrr....

thanks for the words of encouragement. It is uninsulated, as I sold my house last year with my nice garage I redid. I am renting a house now, and my little kero heater along with a propane forced can get it up to a tolerable level. Needless to say, paint will not be happening in it. The wiring is not up to par, and my compressor and welder trip the breakers if used for any amount of time.

VtCruiser60 has a nice little shop, heated, and he will be doing a bunch of work on it, like finish welding and paint on the chassis.

I have some more pix to post, like the 1/2" of bondo they used to blend in the fenders. Awesome.

BTW, apparently the use of bondo as a fender adhesive is OK, they smeared the mounting face with putty before using 50 different tec screws to get them mounted.

bad ass build:popcorn:...subscribed

glass out. Busted the pass. rear. Boo.

006.jpg

rear fenders well secured with about 20 screws per side.
010.jpg

Nice fender blending with 1/2" of Bondo. More held on the fenders.

012.jpg

sandblasted chassis at VtCruiser60's house
023.jpg

firewall support badly rotted
025.jpg

VtCruiser60 in all his glory.
030.jpg

new collar mocked up.
You can see where we cut the ball joint front off and welded in the link pin front. It will all be reinforced with gussets when we get the collar in.

031.jpg

fun day welding up the box kits on the rear arms. Took the day to help teach my friends son how to weld.
(shut it wildman...I understand the principles.)

meanderik.jpg

he did a great job.

erik.jpg

the welds came out very well for a first time weld. Hell, they were way better than mine. Welding table is a fj55 tailgate insert. :)

weld.jpg

Grinding make me all tingly.
m.jpg

when I pulled up the bondo, I found some quality workmanship in the rear quarter panel patch.

wonder what year this is from.

cokecan.jpg

I mean, JohnnyC and I made some fj40 fenders out of a muffler we found on the side of the road, but come on.

I have nothing to report on this build. Just wanted to post a pic

034.jpg

Actually-we FINALLY got the rest of our body panels in (heater channels and a front firewall) so hopefully there will be more progress soon.

My buddy and I have the same dream...the great part is we are much closer to Mexico...so we better get on it...the down fall is we both have daughters getting ready for college...so that might mean this project is on hold for a while :frown:

but I will enjoy watching your build...keep up the good woork :beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom