4x4 Labs rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this up. I am very interested. Could you take some pictures of how it attaches/the inner structure of the bumper? Also the clearances of the wings? And a side shot of how low/far back it sits off the butt end of the truck. I know that's a lot. Thanks.

Will do, It may take a couple months, the truck is in VA and I am in Japan for a couple more months:grinpimp:

Here is a side shot for an idea of rear clearance

4RNR.jpg

No problem, thanks. I had seen the initial prototypes from 4x4labs after emailing them and had really been waiting to see a production piece. Departure angle surprisingly doesn't look much worse than your typical Trail Gear, etc that everyone runs. Wondering how the spindle/swing arm would handle a 37" tire.

Structurally? I would see no problems with a 37. If it's built like the rest of Luke’s bumpers, it's a rock solid setup. My 4x4 Labs bumper on my 100 held my 35” tire no problems.

Just because the 4Runner is a little fella, you'd maybe have to with a single swing out and omit the ladder/can carrier for a 37" tire, which is an option.:meh:

Last edited:
Luke makes some bad ass s***, that's for sure. I went with the trail gear bumper because I couldn't justify the cost of a double swing out. In the end, i'll just add a single swing out with a jerry can and something to carry my spare 35.

Grab some pics of the insides of the bumper would ya? Good stuff. Look forward to hearing your impressions.

Grab some pics of the insides of the bumper would ya? Good stuff. Look forward to hearing your impressions.

Got it built yesterday. Bumper went together flawlessly, only very minor grinding of the wings required.

Initial thoughts: bumper is very stout and well-designed. High clearance, though not as much as say a tube bumper. Fits what I wanted in a bumper perfectly. Also, the next person that rear-ends me is going to be sorry...

Attached are some pics from the build process.

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

Very nice Ian. Why did you decide not to get the swing out?

Here are some pics of mine.

Side profile and clearance. Yeah, I need to trim my tailpipe:doh:
IMG_20170403_150530685_HDR.jpg

Back

IMG_20170403_150405427_HDR.jpg

NIce and tight to the quarter panel

IMG_20170403_150235378.jpg

Underside

IMG_20170403_150249876_HDR.jpg

Wings are tied into the frame on the outside.

IMG_20170403_150315743_HDR.jpg

Only issue is if you have the shocks installed on the arms, the tailgate hits the shock ends:meh:

IMG_20170403_150420067_HDR.jpg

All in all, great offering from Luke:cheers:

It would probably bolt to the frame, but I dont think it would clear all the sheet metal. Tht frame should be the same, quarterpanels are pretty similar, but the ass-end below the tailGate it different.

Disappointing that the swing out hits the tail gate. They should have caught that during the design process... unless you welded it yourself and things were a little off? Not sure if they are offering this in DIY like the bumpers for other makes. Interesting design but it does seem like a solid hit on the rear quarter protection would put it in the flared part of the fender, no?

It would probably bolt to the frame, but I dont think it would clear all the sheet metal. ... but the ass-end below the tailGate it different.

Disappointing that the swing out hits the tail gate.

It probably doesn't hit the tailgate. The design of the rear sill is different between 4Runners and trucks, as is the spacing on how the tailgate drops. As I read this post the bumper was designed for 4Runners, not trucks, and won't hit anything.

Got it built yesterday. Bumper went together flawlessly, only very minor grinding of the wings required.

Initial thoughts: bumper is very stout and well-designed. High clearance, though not as much as say a tube bumper. Fits what I wanted in a bumper perfectly. Also, the next person that rear-ends me is going to be sorry...

Attached are some pics from the build process.

View attachment 1433942

View attachment 1433943

View attachment 1433944

Looks great! I think a soft top, pickup tailgate swap, and this bumper moved up 3 inches would be perfect on my rig.

It probably doesn't hit the tailgate. The design of the rear sill is different between 4Runners and trucks, as is the spacing on how the tailgate drops. As I read this post the bumper was designed for 4Runners, not trucks, and won't hit anything.

I was more referring to the body panels under the tailgate where the license plate holder is vice
nothing under the tailgate of the 4runner. You would parbably have to remove the valence below the tailgate to get it to work, and then you'd have a 3 or 4 inch gap as the tailgate pivot point is higher on the truck.

True, it wouldn't hit anything, it would just look like crap;)

Last edited:
I ordered one from Luke the other day for my truck, mounts are different will post pics up after it arrives and is assembled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom