4Runner owner found a 97 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my '95 5-Speed Limited for about 5 years and it's got about 193K on it. My wife has dragged me around looking at Fords, Subarus, and new Toyotas. When we travel, we take 5 dogs (300 lbs) plus gear, so realistically we need a vehicle that can haul about a half ton, which knocks out most cars and even small SUV's. Add in the wheeling I do, and the fact that we're both teachers & grad students and really the only vehicle that we thought could handle everything was a 3rd gen 4Runner.

While we were at the Toy dealer yesterday, I spotted a cherry 97 LC with 77K, and lockers. Dealer was "asking" $21K, which I know is way too much. From perusing the forum, I know that I should get them to adjust the valves and repack the front birfs and rear axle bearings. Is there anything else I should know? I was going to offer $15K and maybe go up to $17K.

Also, there's not a lot of discussion about gas mileage. When I got my 4Runner it was getting 16 mpg and after swapping in synthetics in the engine, tranny and diffs, and a few other tweeks, it now consistantly gets 19 mpg in town and up to 22 on the highway. Is there anything I can do for a 3 ton pig?

Hey Hay -

Welcome to the list!

If you tried to offer a dealer $15K for a cherry '97 with lockers, and with that kind of milage out here in Calif, they would run you (and the dogs) off the lot with their even bigger dogs ;)

I expect the market is quite different in S TX, but closer to $20K for that kind of a rig / mileage is still not so outrageous out here... especially if you expect them to perform such a labor intensive job as repacking the birfs as part of the deal.

There are a number of long threads on this forum on what can be expected mileage-wise, so cruise around a bit. Realistically, 13-14mpg in town and 14-16 on highway - as an average - is about all you can hope for, especially if you're carrying a bit weight around... though there is an endless list of variables that will effect mileage for any one particular rig / driver.

Good luck with it !!

Cheers, R -

Thanks for the welcome. I learned about y'all on the YotaTech board where I tend to hang out.

I know the dealership, it's where I bought my 4Runner and I've dropped quite a bit on repairs at that dealership...they know it and they know me. So they're looking at a long term relationship with me. I don't really expect to get away with 15K, but expect them to counter with a more realistic price.

The mileage is what gets me...my 3.0 is a slow, torquey engine that had design faults. I figured the 4.5 I6 in the LC was a much more efficient engine.

Does opening up the exhaust work at all?

Welcome 'duke,

I agree with Ron on all points. I would be surprised if You could get them much below 20,000 especially if they have not had it for very long.
As far as fuel mileage goes, anything over 15 mpg is a gift.

Opening up the exhaust does very little.
Dan.

Hey Duke. :flipoff2:

If you can't get a great deal on the truck, just let them know you'll continue to look around. Here in NJ, 15k gets you a nice 97 with lockers. 2 weeks ago, a neighbor sold his 96 for 12k (with lockers). Only costs about 600-700 to ship from TX to NJ, so I'd imagine the reverse is also true (although that was to DFW area).

If he tries to hold you up for 20k, ask him if that includes a lifetime supply of ky for when ya date his daughter :flipoff2:. Seriously, that is way overpriced.

Congrats on being knowledgeable enough to dump the 4skinna and get a real truck, a cruiser. :D :flipoff2: :D seriously - welcome.

Who's dumping the 4Runner? This is a 95' LIMITED with a 5-speed. I've only seen one other on the web. But it would become mine and the LC would be my wife's and for trips. And while it didn't come from the factory with all the lockers and so on, I've only been on one trail where lack of a locker stopped me. Great truck. But I'm thinkin' the LC would be even better...more room, great hauling capacity.

Opening up the exhaust on the 4Runner did very little as well...maybe a 1mpg increase...on a 2 ton vehicle.

On the 4Runner...I've been trying to figure out how to get a diesel into it.

With 5 dogs and complaints that the 3.4V6 is slow, you might consider the 100 series w/ V8. Used ones are in the $20K range now w/ similar mileage, and it's roomier.

Junk,

You only get that in NJ because of all the rust, salt and crappola you put down on the roads in the winter. South Texas, depending on where would be very dry and rust free, thus more $$$. Same in SoCal. :flipoff2:

FYI...I regularly see 93-97s for sale down here with and without lockers for less than 10K.

Worth a drive and I would be happy to check them out if you find one.

"down here" is the atlanta metro area.

Nothing is impossible, negotiate your trade for a higher value if you are trading of course and make sure they at least drive their price down to $19K so you can make out on the price that way, I live in the northeast and I have seen LC's. with similar feature as the one you have described go for $18.5K.

I am a hard negotiator when it comes to paying $$$ for something like a car or a house, my understanding the Used Car market is down these days, because of that you should get something equivalent like the one you are looking at if the dealer did not want to fudge somewhere else

Note: the upside for a dealer on a used car can range between $3K-$6K profit so use that to your advantage.

Hope this helps

Al

That price seems consistent with that I have seen here in the North East..actually slightly cheaper. My 96 with 87K miles was selling for 22k and I paid 18k for it.
BTW..what type of dogs do you own? I breed/train rottweilers...all pink papered european titled dogs. That was a major factor in deciding to get the Landcruiser, first was the style and reliability...only other thing out there worth looking at was other year landcruisers and hummers!
-Chris

You guys might be (unintentionally, I'm sure) offending HayDuke with that "South Texas" stuff. :mad:

El Paso is West Texas, and usually a bit proud of it. 8)

Welcome, GW. The best car deal is one you're still happy with a week, month and year later. Set your own price.

LT
8)

I am living in metro-west [glow=green,2,300]BOSTON[/glow]I got my 96 October 2002..(traded in a Ford Exploder w/75K on the odometer). I got the 96 LC (no lockerz :( ) w/95K mileage for $16K. My LC was stock...but, it had all the options. The moment i left the keys w/the dealer to my exlporer (2 seater)..and hopped into the land cruiser a smile went across my face that to this day hasnt left when i drive it around :D. The 96 LC w/95K handled 100000000% better than my ford w/75K.

Regarding gas mileage. When i purchased the LC I was getting about 12 mpg. I started dumping all that "fuel cleaner" crap into the gas and changed the fuel filter which got the mpg up to about 13.5 mpg. I then put in a K&N (i know ..dust, dust, more dust) and recently put a brand new high flow cat & muffler and now i am pushing 15mpg. As C-dan stated..anything around 15 is a blessing.

good luck w/the search.

later..
joe

[quote author=Brentbba link=board=2;threadid=4856;start=msg40387#msg40387 date=1063320100]
Junk, You only get that in NJ because of all the rust, salt and crappola you put down on the roads in the winter. [/quote]
Uh, dude, I live in Jersey, not frickin Alaska or Maine. :flipoff2:

If your junk outlasts the rust, then you're not beating it hard enough. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom