4runner brake install *pics* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just completed this upgrade. Can't believe the difference it made. I can now lock the fronts up with no pulling to one side.

With the rims I have on the rig I don't have to grind down the calipers.

The only problem I did have was separating the old rotors from the hubs. The '83 is still pretty rusty down there. But a press and some sand blasting took care of that issue.

Thanks for the info.

Cool thread! very helpful! I've been looking for some info about it and i think with this I might be done!

I put on the 4runnner calipers on my '85FJ60. I did not change out my master cylinder and it works just fine. I don't feel it has excessive pedal travel...

Perhaps the "excessive pedal travel" issue should be addressed in this FAQ linked thread. I seem to have read in other posts that this can occasionally be an issue with this swap. What is the cause, and how is it addressed?

Perhaps the "excessive pedal travel" issue should be addressed in this FAQ linked thread. I seem to have read in other posts that this can occasionally be an issue with this swap. What is the cause, and how is it addressed?

This is a controversial topic. My take is that there is more volume in the calipers to fill and without changing the volume of the master cylinder, it's going to take more pedal travel to fill them up. Remedy? Swap to a T100 MC.

Last edited:
Stock FJ60 master is 7/8"
Stock 4runner is 15/16"
Stock FJ80/Tundra (non ABS) is 1"

I used the 4Runner master and my pedal travel stayed just about the same as stock. I had to install a residual pressure valve for the rear brakes as the new master did not have one built in like on the stock FJ60 unit.I did notice a difference in stopping power. However, I keep my drums adjusted and my rotors are in good condition. I know some people have notice no difference and some say it was a huge difference.

Dynosoar:zilla:

But if you swap to a larger bore m/c then at least part of the gain in braking force from the larger caliper pistons is lost. https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/256361-comments-brakes.html#post3957244

As Jan has said, this isn't a cure for poor condition existing components.

It is a small gain in braking power at the expense of more pedal travel.

I remember that thread. Having driven one of these setups however, I will still swap it into my truck.

Stock FJ60 master is 7/8"
Stock 4runner is 15/16"
Stock FJ80/Tundra (non ABS) is 1"

I used the 4Runner master and my pedal travel stayed just about the same as stock. I had to install a residual pressure valve for the rear brakes as the new master did not have one built in like on the stock FJ60 unit.I did notice a difference in stopping power. However, I keep my drums adjusted and my rotors are in good condition. I know some people have notice no difference and some say it was a huge difference.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Thanks for the numbers.

I laugh every time I see the :zilla: :lol:

I remember that thread. Having driven one of these setups however, I will still swap it into my truck.

Thanks for the numbers.

I laugh every time I see the :zilla: :lol:
No worries. It truly does not matter how good or bad the truck actually stops, if you aren't confident in the brakes (as a result of the pedal feel) then it will be nerve-racking to drive and you won't want to.

Last edited:
No worries. It truly does not matter how good or bad the truck actually stops, if you aren't confident in the brakes (as a result of the pedal feel) then it will be nerve-racking to drive and you won't want to.

Absolutely. I could not agree more. Brakes are pretty much one of those personal preference things. After all, we are talking about the effective difference of 1/16" in a MC when stopping a 2.5 ton truck, :lol:

My friend Rod's didn't until it got a 9" with Exploder rear discs.

We did not get the 4Runner in South Africa .
We did get the Hilux 5L and KZTE doublecabs : does the Hilux have the same calipers as the 4Runner ?

Last edited:
Anyone know if the MC Marlin sells is from a T-100 ? It lists those MC's as having a built-in residual valve, so I wouldn't have to put one in line --- Do you just remove the stock proportioning valve?

I put the 4Runner calipers on and can't seem to get them bled. Pedal still goes to the floor and I've used two bottles of brake fluid. Normally, I would get a strong flow of fluid out the bleeder valve, but all I can get now is a dribble and an endless stream of bubbles.

I've checked for leaks, air getting in somewhere... Nothing. Stock MC is rebult and good.

Any ideas? I'm thinking the larger MC might push more fluid?

In domestic stuff the residual pressure valves (rpv) are behind the cone shaped insert in the tube ports of the m/c. I would assume, but do not know, that they are in the same place in Toyota parts. The rpv's job is to keep the drum brake retracting springs from retracting the drum shoes excessively. They do nothing directly towards brake bias.

What is the condition of your hoses?
Because they were apparently original parts I replaced mine with owner assembled braided SS and the system gravity bled. I literally just opened the bleeders and let the fluid flow in the catch cup.

What is the condition of your hoses?
Because they were apparently original parts I replaced mine with owner assembled braided SS and the system gravity bled. I literally just opened the bleeders and let the fluid flow in the catch cup.

New SS all around, including the one on the frame.

If they won't gravity bleed, then the only other things that come to mind would be a pinch somewhere in the tube or a booster push-rod adjusted out a scoshe too far.

Hmmm -- Didn't touch the pedal adj and was working ok before -

I went to the 4R calipers because the right stock caliper kept freezing up - one of the pistons was bad.

I am upgrading to the '94 4runner calipers and rotors while my axle is out of the vehicle. Is an upgraded MC a neccessity? I've heard different opinions regarding pedal travel, etc.

I'd say try it first w/o and see how you like the pedal. As Spike said, it's pretty subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom