4runner brake install *pics* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The RPV resides in the master cylinder right behind the cone that the tube seal on inside of the outlet port. Symptoms of one missing or malfunctioning are usually a low pedal or a pedal that requires more than one pump to get full braking.

From Summit's page details:
"...With drum brakes, 10 lb. valves are used to compensate for return spring tension in the drums."

but sounds like you still have air in the system or the adjuster assembly/automatic adjust level arms are malfunctioning. If the rear brake system is not operating as designed then I could see the adjusters backing in from the spring pressure and thus backing the shoes off the drums.

I climbed under and re adjusted the rears again. Now I'm back to a firmer pedal with no pumping. If it returns to poor performance quickly again, I believe there is a malfunction in the rear adjuster bars and I'll be diving into that with OEM parts.

anyone know about these calipers?

On Amazon, it looks like Beck Arnley 077-0204S and Centric 141.44014 calipers both have 43 and 34 mm pistons, versus 40/40 for 4runners and 35/28 for FJ60s. The 43/34 would be ~94% of the 40/40 4-runner (if I can still do math), so about 94% of the physical advantage, but would bolt up without any modifications if this information is true.

Anyone know if this is true? Any other OEM style aftermarket FJ60 calipers with larger pistons? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom