4Lo Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTW for the benefit of others on the forum, the transmission whine in 4L is because the gears are straight cut instead of helical. It's just noisier due to the design.

Cool. Didn't know that. But not being mechanically minded that is not surprising. The same thing would happen on my Land Rover LR4 when I put it in 4L.

I engage the CDL regularly just driving down my alley or when there's a bit of snow just to exercise the actuator. Otherwise I get the dreaded flashing CDL every so often. Sometime before the warranty is up I'll take it to the dealer and complain. Otherwise I really haven't felt the "need" for it except when on a really rocky or steep (and slippery) trail.

I haven't needed to use 4L with my trailer uphill, though I can imagine using it. The few times when I've felt 4H was insufficient I was climbing at >10,000', but the truck managed in 1st gear OK.

BTW for the benefit of others on the forum, the transmission whine in 4L is because the gears are straight cut instead of helical. It's just noisier due to the design.

I didn't know that. That's one of the reasons I never kept it in 4L. I figured anything that sounded like that couldn't be good. First gear on my Harley does the same thing for the same reason. Makes it easy to know when you've hit first. Now that I know that I'll stop worrying about it.

We're staying in a cabin in the Prescott NF for NYE. For shoots and giggles I decided to drive out to our favorite camp spot taking heed of all the advice from this thread. OMG! I've been doing it all wrong for years.

What I had been doing...
Airing down to 18 psi adding a lot of rolling resistance and losing ground clearance
Locking the CDL making the steering stiff (that might just be in my head, though)
Keeping it in 4H making the gas pedal too twitchy going uphill and necessitating riding the brake pedal going downhill

What I did today...
Aired down to 30 psi to soften things up a little and add traction without losing clearance
Kept the CDL unlocked making steering easier
Put it in 4L as soon as I hit the hairy parts. Speed control was amazing and I didn't have to hit the brakes at all. I crawled back down the hill in 4L and S1 in complete control.

I made the round trip probably twice as fast as I had been making it doing it the wrong way. I'm now a lot more confident in my truck. I can't wait to get sliders and take on bigger challenges.

We're staying in a cabin in the Prescott NF for NYE. For shoots and giggles I decided to drive out to our favorite camp spot taking heed of all the advice from this thread. OMG! I've been doing it all wrong for years.

What I had been doing...
Airing down to 18 psi adding a lot of rolling resistance and losing ground clearance
Locking the CDL making the steering stiff (that might just be in my head, though)
Keeping it in 4H making the gas pedal too twitchy going uphill and necessitating riding the brake pedal going downhill

What I did today...
Aired down to 30 psi to soften things up a little and add traction without losing clearance
Put it in 4L as soon as I hit the hairy parts. Speed control was amazing and I didn't have to hit the brakes at all. I crawled back down the hill in 4L and S1 in complete control.

I made the round trip probably twice as fast as I had been making it doing it the wrong way. I'm now a lot more confident in my truck. I can't wait to get sliders and take on bigger challenges.

There ya go!!

4Lo engine braking is definitely a big deal.
Your brakes are surely much happier after this last outing. :)

What I had been doing...

What I did today...

:D:clap::cheers:

BTW, how is it around Prescott in the winter? We're looking for alternatives for our annual getaway to AZ. Maybe too cold and snowy more like Flagstaff. We've done Tuscon (a lot), Scottsdale (not our cup of tee - pun intended) and Sedona (great but can get crowded). Likely head back to Tuscon this year but open to options.

:D:clap::cheers:

BTW, how is it around Prescott in the winter? We're looking for alternatives for our annual getaway to AZ. Maybe too cold and snowy more like Flagstaff. We've done Tuscon (a lot), Scottsdale (not our cup of tee - pun intended) and Sedona (great but can get crowded). Likely head back to Tuscon this year but open to options.

Prescott is a tiny bit warmer than Flag, but still cold in the winter. What type of getaway are you looking for? We don’t do resorts so I can’t help there. However if you enjoy small-town historic AZ then Prescott and Bisbee are our favorite getaways. If you like teeny tiny mountain towns then Crown King is your place.

Thanks. Small town is good. We only do "resorts" when it means we can get a discounted price on a condo in an area we want to explore. We may tow our trailer down. Not sure yet. Not even sure when. Retirement happens for me in Q2 so not sure how Q1 will unfold. But thanks for the info.

This is what I plan on doing this weekend. I'll drive to Crown King in 4H as usual then go out on the unmaintained roads and play around. Now that I know that driving in 4L won't grenade my drivetrain I'll go out and see how it goes. Something tells me I'm going to enjoy driving the rough parts much more in 4L instead of fighting them and riding the brakes in 4H.

If you find yourself riding the brakes, that's a good indicator that you should be running in 4Lo. Much better to use the engine compression braking on a long downhill than riding your brakes. If you find yourself riding the brakes to the point that your brake pedal begins to get softer you are risking boiling the fluid in your brake system.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I didn't realize when you shift to Sport/Manual mode in 4L it defaults to 4th gear. Thats exactly what it feels like. I also had some trouble codes "stored" from a bad wheel speed sensor. When the wheel sensor was bad the 4Lo light was blinking and 4Lo didnt work properly. I fixed the speed sensor the the lights went off but I guess they were never cleared from the ECU until recently. I tried the 4Lo the other day and it seemed to work better. Maybe the problem is fixed! Thanks again for all the replies.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I didn't realize when you shift to Sport/Manual mode in 4L it defaults to 4th gear. Thats exactly what it feels like. I also had some trouble codes "stored" from a bad wheel speed sensor. When the wheel sensor was bad the 4Lo light was blinking and 4Lo didnt work properly. I fixed the speed sensor the the lights went off but I guess they were never cleared from the ECU until recently. I tried the 4Lo the other day and it seemed to work better. Maybe the problem is fixed! Thanks again for all the replies.

That 4th gear default for 4Lo even applies to the 2008...before all the fancier terrain modes were added. So ya...completely normal.

My theory of why it defaults to 4th is its the least likely gear to “surprise” a new driver not accustomed to 4Lo...or...that it’s the most “normally-reacting” gas pedal feel, along with the least likely to get a person in trouble when they don’t understand gearing.

I dunno...and I wish it defaulted to 2nd...but I’m glad it’s workin for. :)

That 4th gear default for 4Lo even applies to the 2008...before all the fancier terrain modes were added. So ya...completely normal.

My theory of why it defaults to 4th is its the least likely gear to “surprise” a new driver not accustomed to 4Lo...or...that it’s the most “normally-reacting” gas pedal feel, along with the least likely to get a person in trouble when they don’t understand gearing.

I dunno...and I wish it defaulted to 2nd...but I’m glad it’s workin for. :)
Thanks! Here's another maybe dumb theory. Lets say you are crawling along on the trail in 4Lo on semi level terrain...car defaults to 4th gear because your in regular shift mode...you come to an obstacle and proceed to climb up it...then you realize you are in too high of a gear (being in 4th in 4Lo) so you then shift to sport mode and shift it to 1st...since the vehicle is sitting still and you shift from 4th to 1st in 4Lo can the trans make that shift sitting still without any movement? Or does it need to roll forward and shift to 3rd then 2nd then 1st?? I hope that long scenario and question makes sense. Lol. I know in older vehicles they have to roll and shift one gear at a time.

Thanks! Here's another maybe dumb theory. Lets say you are crawling along on the trail in 4Lo on semi level terrain...car defaults to 4th gear because your in regular shift mode...you come to an obstacle and proceed to climb up it...then you realize you are in too high of a gear (being in 4th in 4Lo) so you then shift to sport mode and shift it to 1st...since the vehicle is sitting still and you shift from 4th to 1st in 4Lo can the trans make that shift sitting still without any movement? Or does it need to roll forward and shift to 3rd then 2nd then 1st?? I hope that long scenario and question makes sense. Lol. I know in older vehicles they have to roll and shift one gear at a time.

No issue dropping from 4 to 1 sitting still. The transmission acts the same whether in 4L or 4H.

If you're in 4H and you need to engage 4L or the CDL you might need to roll forward or backward slightly.

@Markuson, fwiw the default to 4th gear is the same in 4L or 4H on the 2013 as well. I miss how my Acura would default to whatever gear you were already in when you went into Sport mode.

Blake, there is an important thing to remember about S-mode shifting in the LC. When you shift to a specific S level (or when it defaults to S4) you are not necessarily putting the transmission in the gear. You are simply limiting the highest gear the automatic transmission can use. It still shifts automatically. So if you have it in S4 and you are starting from a full stop, the transmission will still start in 1st gear then shift to 2nd and 3rd based on its perceived needs. One way to notice this is that you may see that you are in S4 but you decide to change to S3. Yet you don't notice a change. That is because it was already using 3rd gear even though you had it set to S4. Of course, if you were in 4th gear it will shift down to 3rd. This may sound confusing but once you understand what is going on it is actually pretty helpful.

Therefore, when you change for D to S and it defaults to S4 you need not worry provided you aren't going way too fast. The "gear upper limit" setting of 4th gear will not necessarily mean the transmission will be in 4th gear. It may be in 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

One more thing. With my 8-speed, 2016 model when I am going at a higher speed and I change from D mode to S mode, it sometimes starts out S mode in S5 or even S6. So it appears to set the upper limit at whatever gear I am in unless that gear is below 4th gear. I expect this "intelligence" and automation is to help prevent redlining on one hand or lugging down on the other.

^Yup.

One more thing. With my 8-speed, 2016 model when I am going at a higher speed and I change from D mode to S mode, it sometimes starts out S mode in S5 or even S6. So it appears to set the upper limit at whatever gear I am in unless that gear is below 4th gear. I expect this "intelligence" and automation is to help prevent redlining on one hand or lugging down on the other.

In regards to the 6-speed, it does the same. When going into S, it doesn't just default to S4. Though that's typical for most conditions. Under tow, I've seen it go strait to S3 in climbing situations at lower speeds.

Blake, there is an important thing to remember about S-mode shifting in the LC. When you shift to a specific S level (or when it defaults to S4) you are not necessarily putting the transmission in the gear. You are simply limiting the highest gear the automatic transmission can use. It still shifts automatically. So if you have it in S4 and you are starting from a full stop, the transmission will still start in 1st gear then shift to 2nd and 3rd based on its perceived needs. One way to notice this is that you may see that you are in S4 but you decide to change to S3. Yet you don't notice a change. That is because it was already using 3rd gear even though you had it set to S4. Of course, if you were in 4th gear it will shift down to 3rd. This may sound confusing but once you understand what is going on it is actually pretty helpful.

Therefore, when you change for D to S and it defaults to S4 you need not worry provided you aren't going way too fast. The "gear upper limit" setting of 4th gear will not necessarily mean the transmission will be in 4th gear. It may be in 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

That's a really good point, Dan, about manual shifting being an "upper limit," rather than a single gear selection lock.
I have mixed feelings about that feature, as sometimes I'd like absolute control...but I'm sure it prevents a lot of damaging possibilities & mistakes people might make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom