4JJ1 into an 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Most know a 1hdt 80 is $25,000 + in Australia.. a price that is a bit out of touch for me.

Im wondering how crazy it is to find a dead 3FE and convert the engine and transmission etc to the Isuzu 4jj1? My estimated costing being approx 10-15 grand all up with some DIY work.

There is a 250hp/600nm ish npatrol 4jj1 conversion on YouTube... with some modifications of course. Though, the factory patrol gearbox and 4j align rather well which doesn't seem to be the case with the landcruiser unfortunately.

If anyone has investigated this or wishes to add some thoughts to my idea that'd be great!

Cheers

I would think it'd be cheaper and easier in the long run to find a used 1HDT and swap that in, but I could be wrong. I would try posting on the diesel tech forum as well.

Sounds interesting, but does anyone make an adapter for the 4JJ1 to the A440F? Or whatever manual transmission you may have gotten in your market...

Unless you really want diesel, the most sensible swap in Australia is an LS and 4L60e or 80. They're cheap and can be had out of Commodores of which there are literally thousands.
All the adapters are available from Marks in Melbourne. Almost bolt in, though not in a 3FE truck, has to be FZJ or H diesel.
You'd be ahead of those power numbers too - granted its in a different spot in the RPM range.
Doable on that budget.

Thanks for your responses everyone! I'm located in South Australia. Sourcing a 1hdt engine seems to be around the $9 to 10,000 mark - not including an alternator 😂

My reasoning for the 4JJ1 is based on cheap to purchase, common, reliable and fuel efficiency:

I currently have a FJ73 with the 3F which I had looked into an LS1 for funny enough. My issue is, petrol price is $1.80 per litre here at the moment. (thanks to google value conversions: 3.7L per gallon = $6.66 aud, 4.78 usd.)

My mates in loaded up defenders/pajeros get 13L ish/100km. I'm around the 20L mark in the 3F... I don't know if I could bring myself to go the V8 4wd route as a daily driver as I'm already sitting at a similar fuel consumption (but they do sound good!)

Seems to be only patrol adaptors being manufactured at the moment unfortunately. A Frankenstein iszuzu engine/patrol running gear/80 chassis would be quite the job 😂.

Just a tough time to get into the diesel Toyota market!

I did see a 1hdt 80 for the 23k mark. Almost looks like a good buy!

Hey mate if your still interested Aussie 4j adapters have a Toyota tranovase adapter for 80/105 series
Edit: NVM, found it. Very interesting!

Can you post a link? Do you know if this works with the 4JJ1 found in Isuzu NPR’s in the USA?

So it adapts the 4jj1 and 4speed auto or 5speed manual to the 105/80 series 19 spline transfer case
That’s kind of a bummer. As far as I know, the only transmission that engine got in the US is the 6 speed aisin auto in the Eco NPR’s.

Edit: NVM, found it. Very interesting!

Can you post a link? Do you know if this works with the 4JJ1 found in Isuzu NPR’s in the USA?

Just from a machining and product manufacturing perspective, a few pieces of steel plate formed and welded together to form that adapter is a super sketch way to do it and that price strikes me as being a bit out of line for what it is (and the corners cut to make it).

That part should be a casting or machined from solid aluminum. Making that from multiple plates welded together screams "I have a plasma table in my backyard, look what I can do".

Hey mate if your still interested Aussie 4j adapters have a Toyota tranovase adapter for 80/105 series
This is good news as I am thinking of upgrading my 1HZ for a 4JJJ1, the numbers they are getting for the Patrols is awesome. 1HDT and the infamous 1HDFT/E that I have to give my first born up for is not an option any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom