4BD2T into an '89 FJ62 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, due to a request from a Mud member I'm going to start a build thread on this swap I am currently working on. I haven't done a build thread on other swaps so bear with me I might not post what people are interested in. I do have some pictures, but I don't seem to take the ones that are interesting to others so please let me know if there is something someone wants to see.

There is quite a bit of backstory with this 62 so I'll try to paraphrase as much as possible so people don't get bored. About 8 years ago I purchased this FJ62 from Rock Springs. I saw it advertised for the right price and I had to go look, well the look turned into a purchase once I saw the condition of the body since everything I see around here has rusty wheel wells etc.... It was a pretty stock 62 with a high mileage 3FE a OME lift and a ARB bumper. I brought it back home and drove it a bit trying to decide what to do with it. I was telling a friend of mine about it, who had never had a Cruiser before, and he decided to buy it from me. During the first year the Cruiser ran into some engine and transmission problems so he decided to pull the motor and rebuild it and add an H55F. He got it running just in time to move to Northern Idaho where he drove it around for a few years without any problems. His only complaint was the poor gas mileage, so this is where the diesel came into play.

He decided he wanted a 4bd1t or 2t since it seemed to be the best and cheapest 4 cyl swap at the time. Well I started looking locally and found an old Isuzu box truck that was for sale. It was cheap due to the fact that it blew loads of black smoke and wouldn't go about 35mph. The nice this was it started, idled perfectly and there were no unusual noises, plus it felt smooth while driving. So, after further investigation I found that the turbo had seized causing the drive-ability problems. So, now I have a box truck in my yard that needed to drive 700 miles to Northern Idaho but needed repair work before it could get there. Since this was going to go into his FJ62 he didn't want to waste time and money with purchasing the factory turbo since it wasn't be best fit for increasing power etc... so we did some research and found that the HE221 was a good replacement and should work great in his 62. So, he and I purchased all the parts and components for the swap and he made cleared his schedule to come down, help install, then drive the box truck back home.

So all this happened to be in the winter and the temps around my place were just below zero during the week he decided to come down. I didn't have a big enough shop to pull in a box truck so all the work we had to do was in the snow and the cold. We pulled out shop lights to help us while we worked at night since he was on a time frame. So, before he arrived I got everything pulled apart and ready. I ran into a broken exhaust manifold bolt on the rear of the motor during dis-assembly which I ended up drilling and running a coil cert, but in the end that didn't work very well since I didn't have great access to the location so the hole ended up over enlarged for the 8mm coil cert. Needless to say that is something I am going to have to deal with now Argh. Anyway, he showed up on the expected day and we had 2 days to install this turbo and get him on the road. Everything went pretty well in the end, it actually took us 2.5 days, but he at least still left the day he expected, only in the afternoon. So with the new turbo installed, and the short test run, he took off. We didn't change any fuel settings etc... but he was able to cruise at 65 and it ran great. Since he left so late he ended up driving through Dillon Mt. right around midnight, he said the temps were around -20, and he was having a hard time keeping the windshield clear, but besides that it was running great. He ended up making it home in the early hours of the morning just in time for work the next day.

So now that he had the motor it was time for the swap, well at the same time I had another friend that was having issues with his 2F and wanted to do a 3FE swap in his 40. Well, what better time. They met up and made the trade, my friend from Seattle installed the 3FE and is happy with the motor and swap.

So, now the FJ62 has no motor, the OME springs were swapped out for HFS kit and it was time to source the parts for the swap. A few pieces were orderd ie. Advanced Adapter Economy kit, but for the most part it sat waiting. During that time I had purchase two HJ47's from Australia, one for myself and one to sell. Well, my friend decided he wanted to buy one if the 47's so to make that easier for him I took the 62 as part trade and that is where it has sat for the past year.

Now it's come time to finish the swap. I have other projects I am working on at the same time so don't expect a fast swap, but It'll get done.

Did I say I was going to paraphrase? lol

Pictures coming soon, just need to get them uploaded.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

So here are a few pictures of the project, including the boxes of parts in the back.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'm also splitting my time between my HJ47. I'm just finishing up the electric power steering and will be installing a 5-speed, 3:70 gears and building a custom turbo setup. Hopefully I can give both an equal amount of time.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

So when the H55f was originally installed the transmission was mounted lower than I'd like for this Isuzu swap so I cut the existing motor mounts off, cleaned them up, and re-welded them. I also added welded nuts on the inside of the frame rails so I have the option of pushing the crossmember right up to the frame.

Last edited:
image.jpeg

So once the transmission and motor was where I wanted it I started looking into the issue of the short transmission input shaft. I noticed when it was all bolted up the input shaft only just flush with the face of the puck. I'm not sure why this is the case, but I believe I'm going to use the outer race of one pilot bearing as a spacer, and use the second bearing as the pilot bearing. In the picture you'll notice the machined step in the center of the puck that'll allow me the 1/2" to press the second pilot bearing in place.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I got my flywheel today and I already had the clutch from a Chev. So now all I need is the second pilot bearing to see if this is going to work. I've got my fingers crossed.

Sweet, looks great so far :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well, I took a night off from the 62 and decided to install my electric Power steering setup on my 47, here are a few pictures.

Well, is been a while, but here's where I am now. I've been waiting for a pilot bearing to use as a spacer, to space out the functional pilot bearing. I had to use a spacer because if I seated the pilot bearing all the way into the puck it wouldn't engage the input shaft at all, so the easy fix was to use the outer race of the same pilot bearing as a spacer then seat the pilot bearing to it. i ended up having to buy two new bearings since I broke the first one I had. Note to self, don't try to press the center race out of a roller bearing. Anyway, to get the center race out I used an abrasive wheel from a dremel kit. Here's how it turned out.

The pictures are of the overall setup, the dual flywheel, and the pilot bearing.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Beautiful machine work there. I assume the upper aluminum adapter ring is custom too? Those are some "kit" quality adapter components...

On the short input shaft problem. Dustin makes 2 different length flywheel adapters - 1 is used for the Isuzu manual trans flywheel, and 1 for the Isuzu automatic flywheel. I see you are using the automatic flywheel.

I'm building a new Isuzu 4BD2 currently that will be using the automatic flywheel. I ordered Dustins adapter for a manual, but decided to use the auto flywheel this time, so we swapped it out. I have this part on my bench if you want a measurement.

Let me know.

Looks good!

On the short input shaft problem. Dustin makes 2 different length flywheel adapters - 1 is used for the Isuzu manual trans flywheel, and 1 for the Isuzu automatic flywheel. I see you are using the automatic flywheel.

I'm building a new Isuzu 4BD2 currently that will be using the automatic flywheel. I ordered Dustins adapter for a manual, but decided to use the auto flywheel this time, so we swapped it out. I have this part on my bench if you want a measurement.

Let me know.

Looks good!

So before Dustin decided to disappear, no way to contact him at all, I talked to him about this problem. I told him that I had the Auto transmission flywheel and he confirmed that the adapter puck I had was indeed the correct part for the application. If you would measure what you have that would be great. I was considering looking for a manual flywheel but I didn't want to spend the money on a flywheel to find out that it wan't going to be a good solution so I decided to go the route I did. Funny thing, mcd on 4BTSwaps.com had the same issue. I compared the adapter sizes with him and ours matched, here is a link to the comparisons. Question for people using the DieselAdapters economy kit

Beautiful machine work there. I assume the upper aluminum adapter ring is custom too? Those are some "kit" quality adapter components...

All the adapter parts were from DieselAdapter.com The website is still up, but I have tried the phone number and his email and he is gone from what I can tell. I'm hoping this is temporary since he has an A/C mount for a Cummins swap that I really want to buy.

The kit was the adapter puck and the upper adapter ring.

I'll check tonight and let you know.

As for Dustin, I've read many posts, both here and 4BTswaps that he is slow to respond, and/or comes and goes, so maybe he will be back? I've spoken to him several times, and he makes quality parts.

I did a 4BD2 swap 6 years ago into my 60 using the IDS - Isuzu Diesel Swappers parts, which are no longer made. Mine used a manual flywheel.

Not sure if you know about these kits, but they are very similar in design and operation as Dustins, but the flywheel hub is aluminum and locates differently. I liked how Dustins locates on the crank ID and bolts through - More precise IMHO.

The aluminum rings do the same things, but the IDS is a full ring, which I like better...except for clutch inspection!

I'll let you know.

I measured my flywheel adapter, which, according to Dustin, is for using an Isuzu 4BD1/2 automatic flywheel to a Chevy flywheel.

From flat to flat, it measures 3.120"

I do not have the measurements from my original swap, but when I pull it apart, I will measure everything, so I can make sure to have the same dimensions, as it all works currently.

I'm curious now, post you what you have, if it's the same, I will likely have the same problems.

Here is a picture of the measurement of mine. They are cheap calipers so the measurement may be slightly off, but it looks to be the same dimensions as yours.

IMG_1740.JPG

Last edited:
I am doing research on doing the 4bd1t swap on a FJ40. I have been doing allot of reading. Keep up the good work.

So I'm still progressing, although slowly due to a custom trubo install in my HJ47. Anyway, attached are some pictures of the latest issue I have been dealing with. A little backstory to this issue. When I was doing the initial turbo install when it was in the box truck I had to remove the exhaust manifold to gain access to bolts etc... When I was removing the exhaust manifold bolts I broke the rear upper bolt flush with the surface. Well since it was an exhaust manifold bolt I figured it shouldn't be rusted in just probably a weak bolt from the expansion and contraction over the years. So against my best judgement I decided to run down to the local parts house and buy an easy out. Again, against my better judgement the only thing they had was a cheap spiral fluted easy out. I purchased this tool and headed back to remove the broken bolt. I was able to get the bolt drilled right where I wanted it so I proceeded to try the easy out and of course it broke flush with the end of the broken bolt which was flush with the head surface. At this point in time I should have gotten the welder out and tacked a nut on to both broken pieces then tried to back it out, but I was away from my shop and it was below zero and I was being impatient. Anyway, I grabbed a bit and decided to try to drill but of course the drill bit walked since the metal was so soft around the hardened easy out. I was able to get the easy out removed and the old bolt out, but the hole was bigger than a Helicoil would fix although I did use one for a temporary fix just so I could get the box truck up to Idaho.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. I decided to purchase a Big Sert to fix the hole since it would return the bolt to the original size, plus I like the Time Serts. Here are a few pictures of how this looked before during and after.

IMG_1845.JPG
IMG_1846.JPG
IMG_1847.JPG
IMG_1899.JPG

Sorry for the length of time between posts, but I've been focusing on the turbo install in the 2H rather than the engine swap in the 62. That being said I did finally have time to install the motor, brake booster, and clutch master cylinder, hopefully I can get the turbo mounted as well tonight. Next up is trying to piece all the items together that came in the boxes. I'll definitely need some assistance figuring out some of these parts. Wish my motor was as shiny as other swaps I've seen on this board, just not in the cards right now. Oh, and by the way, that Timesert worked perfectly to repair the failed exhaust manifold threads.

Scott

IMG_1982.JPG
IMG_1983.JPG

Boy it bet it feels good to drop that in there. I didn't think it would fit so nicely in a 60 bay. Lots of turbo room. Nice work. I'll be starting my 4bd1t swap into my 80 in the forseable near future.
g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom