40 series 15bf conversion pump question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 15bf from a 1998 Dyna that will soon take the place of a 3b that's currently in my 40. The actual conversion will be in my 40 build thread in my signature but, since that is in the 40 section I thought it would be best to post this question here.

Anyone have ideas why this manual transmission truck had a TPS sensor on the injection pump? Also what might these other two plugs on the pump be for? I know that auto trucks had a TPS sensor to aid in trans control but this truck had a manual trans.

20221230_140228.jpg

20221230_140239.jpg

20221230_140245.jpg

Not sure what this solenoid or switch is.
20221230_140258.jpg

Last edited:
In consulting with some folks that know more about these engines than me, the TPS sensor on top of the IP seem to be an emissions control sensor that alerts EGR of throttle position. My 1HD-FT had that sensor and we deleted both, that sensor and EGR. You unscrew two little fasteners and the TPS can be easily removed.

Emissions Sensor.jpg

The second sensor is the Tachometer sending unit from the IP. It counts the number of teeth inside pump and gives a tachmoter signal. Most BOSCH type pumps have the same number of teeth inside the pump (I am almost certain it is 23 teeth) that is why you can use a tachometer for a 2LT and similar into a 1HZ cluster.

Tachometer Sensor.jpg

The third set are valves for EGR and AC Idle up vacuum switches (orange and blue). (I have no idea of the one in black in the back of the engine).

Emissions Sensors or AC Iddle Up Sensor.jpg

Hope you are doing well,

-Alberto

Thanks for the insight Alberto. Interesting that this IP would have the TPS sensor however no EGR on the engine.

I found these other photos of another 98 model 15bf that has EGR but appeared to come in front of an automatic transmission. Both mine, and the engine in the photos are from Japan market Dyna trucks so it doesn't appear to simply be a market configuration. Perhaps the autos had EGR and the manual trucks didn't yet all got the same pump. Nonetheless your insight reaffirms that I don't need it.

You can see the blank egr pipe boss on my manifold compared to the other photo.

20230124_221040.jpg

Screenshot_20230124-220203.png

Also my engine lacks the egr valve itself on the manifold like this engine.

Screenshot_20230124-220210.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom