40 Help: Now the 2nd Life's Story (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Over (or under) thinking it... it is unlikely that one incident lead to this failure. It more likely due to improper installation, such as over or under torqueing nuts, or installing wrong nuts (based on your hub centric comment above), or lack of periodic maintenance, such as checking and re-torqueing nuts.
I have a couple questions to get this whole story straight:
The wheel in question had a spacer; so the wheel and spacer came off together, not just the wheel, correct?
You torqued the aluminum spacer to axle nuts to 100 ft-lbs, correct?
Two studs snapped and 4 are "OK"?
If that last answer is yes, then all arrows point to improper install and/or lack of maintenence.
Correct lug nut choice is critical.
Wheel spacers require locktite on the studs when attaching them to the axle, they should be torqued to, usually, 80 to 90 ft lbs (the sets I've used all stated 85 ft-lbs). They need to be rechecked periodically.
Yes wheel and spacer came off together.
The spacers and nuts were the ones I bought off you, and yes to being torqued to 100lbs. I did not use loctite, put them on before Fall Crawl and hadn't checked them since. Also only drove at Fall Crawl and then Cove recently before taking it down to Atlanta. The ones on my 200 are hub-centric, and the spacers on the 40 have the lip so the wheel sits hub-centric on the spacer and I assumed the spacer sat hub-centric as well.
That's what he explained to me, that the 4 remaining studs were fine..

Copy. Those spacers are Spidertrax spacers and are for both styles of wheels. 40 axles are lug centric, that is why they have the tapered lugs. Best check all the other wheels. Torque to 80 ft-lbs with red locktite.

Last edited:
No.. he said the 2 that broke the other half was still in the spacer and the nuts for the other 4 lugs were in the spacer still too.

This is the key. You had 4 loosened up (probably not torqued) and fell off. Then the 2 remaining that were torqued broke.
That is my assessment.
They will loosen if not re-torqued especially if they were new spacers.

Last edited:
This is the key. You had 4 loosened up (probably not torqued) and fell off. Then the 2 remaining that were torqued broke.
That is my assessment.
They will loosen if not re-torqued especially if they were new spacers.
They were new, never used. No locktite used either.

Not calibrated to the 100 ftlbs you set it to?
I was being a smartass about. It was a brand new torque wrench he had.

Whether they did back out from not being torqued properly or something else caused the issue. But the front spacers don't have loctite and no issues. I also don't have loctite on the 200, and when I swapped over to the street tires before winter they were still torqued at 120. Those are hub-centric so maybe not as much stress on the lugs to have that issue arise.

I was being a smartass about. It was a brand new torque wrench he had.

Whether they did back out from not being torqued properly or something else caused the issue. But the front spacers don't have loctite and no issues. I also don't have loctite on the 200, and when I swapped over to the street tires before winter they were still torqued at 120. Those are hub-centric so maybe not as much stress on the lugs to have that issue arise.
I know you were being a smartass. The fronts don't get nearly the stress the rears do... have him check the torque on the other ones and record if they are low or loose.

Finally went thru the video from back when we went to The Cove in March 2021. Good amount of @Pacer and @BROKEROB1 since I was behind them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom