40 Help: Now the 2nd Life's Story (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you know what they say. If a cruiser isn't leaking oil you better check it because its probably out. I had my 40 in my house garage replacing the spring hangers and noticed my tcase wasn't leaking. hmm guess I better check it. 2 quarts later its full lol.
Sure was leaking when we looked at it Saturday!!!!!

Throw some lucas power steering stop leak in it and wheel it :)

Which I forgot to return to you before you took off. I will get it back to you.
thanks for the assist.

Last edited:
The old man's favorite words this weekend: "it's not my truck"

Nice save, Chris!

How was the Sniper?

Nice save, Chris!

How was the Sniper?

It ran good for 3 hours. The oil from the PCV was dumped into the air cleaned. Foaled out the O2 senser. There are some issues I need to work throw. But I’ll get it figured out. And it will be easier for the next guy. One thing I noticed was the throttle tip in was quick I’m going to put a small extension on the plate that the cable hooked to.

Last edited:
And let's see a picture of the surge tank.
This is the 3rd rendition of the surge tank. I will be changing the top again. I don’t trust the way I installed the ring. But it worked good uphill and down. Even on its nose it powered out.
882F3F5D-37F3-4790-A3E0-9826AE42A933.jpeg

do you have a lot of blowby from the engine? I wouldn't think that there would be that much oil coming out of the PCV

Sounds like the perfect shakedown run!

do you have a lot of blowby from the engine? I wouldn't think that there would be that much oil coming out of the PCV

Sounds like the perfect shakedown run!
Yes I’m purity sure I have plenty of blowby it is the original 1969 F. And where the PCV valve sets in the filler neck it gets oil thrown at it from the crank. I have the 2F dented side cover with the rear PCV so I’m moving it to there.

Rear driver studs snapped off on the 40.. cousin just video called me to let me know and asked what to do. Looks like there were 3 that were still half length.
I'm guessing those spacers I threw on the rear put too much leverage on the studs?

You'll have to pull the axle to pound the studs out if I recall correctly. The studs that are/were in there are Dorman, longer than stock to allow for the rotor.

what did you torque them to?

I should check mine.

what did you torque them to?

I should check mine.
100lbs. For some reason I thought they were hub centric like the ones I have on the 200, but I don't think that's true?

That’s what they should be torqued to. Mine are at 90lbs. They should not be hub centric.

Pics of the studs and nuts.
No pictures, he was with his dad and another uncle when it happened. But 2 studs broke in half, the other 4 were still fine.. he said the 2 that broke the other half was still in the spacer and the nuts for the other 4 lugs were in the spacer still too. He hasn't gotten the wheel that fell off off the spacer yet. Just threw the spare on to get home.

So I'm wondering if the nuts holding the spacer on were walking themselves loose. Or if the recent trip to the cove where I nearly flopped put too much stress on those lugs, since that was the side that came off the ground.

No pictures, he was with his dad and another uncle when it happened. But 2 studs broke in half, the other 4 were still fine.. he said the 2 that broke the other half was still in the spacer and the nuts for the other 4 lugs were in the spacer still too. He hasn't gotten the wheel that fell off off the spacer yet. Just threw the spare on to get home.

So I'm wondering if the nuts holding the spacer on were walking themselves loose. Or if the recent trip to the cove where I nearly flopped put too much stress on those lugs, since that was the side that came off the ground.
Over (or under) thinking it... it is unlikely that one incident lead to this failure. It more likely due to improper installation, such as over or under torqueing nuts, or installing wrong nuts (based on your hub centric comment above), or lack of periodic maintenance, such as checking and re-torqueing nuts.
I have a couple questions to get this whole story straight:
The wheel in question had a spacer; so the wheel and spacer came off together, not just the wheel, correct?
You torqued the aluminum spacer to axle nuts to 100 ft-lbs, correct?
Two studs snapped and 4 are "OK"?
If that last answer is yes, then all arrows point to improper install and/or lack of maintenence.
Correct lug nut choice is critical.
Wheel spacers require locktite on the studs when attaching them to the axle, they should be torqued to, usually, 80 to 90 ft lbs (the sets I've used all stated 85 ft-lbs). They need to be rechecked periodically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom