40 Crank Handle Dimensions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know the dimensions on the old 40 crank handle in the area where it meets the crankshaft nut. I want to make up a ratchet extension for valve adjustments, etc.

Thanks

Might be cheaper/easier to buy a crank, new, from a dealer. Or used, at a swapmeet or on classifieds....also useful for starting an engine.

Might be cheaper/easier to buy a crank, new, from a dealer. Or used, at a swapmeet or on classifieds....also useful for starting an engine.

Yeah maybe - but I was thinking it's not much more than a rod with a dowel pin pressed through it, and it doesn't seem like it would need to be so long, etc. for just turning the engine with a ratchet. I don't really see myself ever using it to start the engine... If I stumbled on one at a decent price I'd pick it up but with all the other stuff I spend time trying to source it doesn't seem worth the effort.

I picture a short rod (or old extension) with the pin-drive on one end and a unused socket welded to the opposite for the ratchet.

Wouldnt it be way easier just to use a socket with a long extension?

You can insert the extension first then put the socket on.:meh:

Or you can use a socket that fits inside the crank nut then cut grooves at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, insert a steel pin across the socket in the grooves, use a method of attaching it permanently.
Viola'

antoine

All Saudi spec cruisers have the crank as standard, but they are no longer available at the vendor.
I wanna say that almost any handcrank will do.
I got a Land Rover crank and modified it to the Toyota specs just so it fits in the OEM holder.
You might look at Farmall cranks.
It is just a simple round shaft with a pin to engage the profile on the big crank nut.
The crank nut has the female receiver for the pins.
It's not a socket that fits the crank nut - but that might work.

Ya sure gotta eat your Wheaties to crank start that straight 6.
I've done it cold a couple of times but never could start a hot engine .... so far.
A worn engine might be a lot easier???
It freaks ppl out.

So back to the original question - can anyone share the dimensions :grinpimp:

I made one using 1/2" rod. A longish piece for the shaft, and short piece welded 90* to one end to engage the crank, and a a medium length piece welded 90* to the other end to turn it with. It looked like a capital "I", sort of.

Now I use a 46mm socket and extension/breaker bar, though. The 6-point socket makes it easy to turn the engine 120* to bring up each cylinder for adjusting the valves. Two flats on the socket is 120*

Crank

Hope this is of a help to you.
This is out of my FJ45 with 2F, but I am sure it is the same for all.
The bend starts at around 33.5", the bend is about a 12" bend, and over all it's 40.5" long from tip to tip. Round steel 0.753 in inches.:cheers:
EmptyName 7.jpg
EmptyName 8.jpg
EmptyName 9.jpg

crank rod

Oh yeah you will need this little baby mounted on the top of your bumper if you want it to stay straight and steady while turning. This is a grate tool for setting the valves and setting the timing mark and such.
Sockets can be a problem getting it into and out of the crank area.
THIS IS THE WAY TO GO.
:cheers:
EmptyName 6.jpg

When I got my first FJ I told my buddy that the balancer pulley nut looked like an old hand crank could be used to start or just rotate the engine. He said "Your crazy, it's just a special nut for the balancer. You could never get a straight 6 to fire with just a hand crank!" So of course one would believe that because that's something of the early vehicle era.

But looky here.... It was indeed what I thought it was so now I want to know, where can I get one? And where is it supposed to mount?

Pin

Yes as you can see in the photo 1/4 steel pin will be fine. You can make it a bit longer to start with then grind off to proper fit.
Good luck
:cheers:

Hand Crank tool question

I made one using 1/2" rod. A longish piece for the shaft, and short piece welded 90* to one end to engage the crank, and a a medium length piece welded 90* to the other end to turn it with. It looked like a capital "I", sort of.

Now I use a 46mm socket and extension/breaker bar, though. The 6-point socket makes it easy to turn the engine 120* to bring up each cylinder for adjusting the valves. Two flats on the socket is 120*

Just a quick sanity check. I need to turn my engine by hand to reach TDC as I'm installing a new (to me) distributor. Read through a few threads and decided a 46 mm socket/extension/breaker bar would be the quickest way to go (already had the breaker and extension).

But, after picking up the 46 mm socket, there is no way it will fit in the space between the crank nut and the radiator shroud, so I guess I'll have to remove the shroud. Of course, that means removing the lower rad. hose, which means draining the radiator. Not the end of the world, but a bunch of extra work/time.

Aside from building or finding a real hand crank, is there a way to do this using a 46 mm socket without removing the radiator shroud?

I need to turn my engine by hand to reach TDC. Is there a way to do this without removing the radiator shroud?

Yep. Put the transmission in gear, release the parking brake, and bump (push/pull) the truck by hand to get the flywheel where you want it. It's that easy.

Just a quick sanity check. I need to turn my engine by hand to reach TDC as I'm installing a new (to me) distributor. Read through a few threads and decided a 46 mm socket/extension/breaker bar would be the quickest way to go (already had the breaker and extension).

But, after picking up the 46 mm socket, there is no way it will fit in the space between the crank nut and the radiator shroud, so I guess I'll have to remove the shroud. Of course, that means removing the lower rad. hose, which means draining the radiator. Not the end of the world, but a bunch of extra work/time.

Aside from building or finding a real hand crank, is there a way to do this using a 46 mm socket without removing the radiator shroud?

You can use the starter to get it close. Then I remove the dust cover on the bell housing. The pressure plate has hole you can use large screwer to turn the crank to TDC. Removing the spark plugs will make it easier to turn.

The crank turns twice for the cam to turn once so make sure you a TDC with the number cylinder read y fire not the end of it's exhaust. You can plug the spark plug hole your finger over the spark plug hole to see if the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke. Or just remove the valve cover. Both rocker arms should be loose on the compression stroke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom