4-year Power Window Project (nearing completion) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh no! You're a glutton for punishment and have crazy red dogs as well!

20230108_144459.jpg

Why did you only start this thread yesterday??? I could have used it 3 days ago when I cut up my old slim doors to do the exact same thing. Only I have opted to use cable actuated mechanisms

Edit:
The thought of using existing regulators crossed my mind too. My only issue is that I only have half of one. And I cannot find new ones or even second hand ones any where here in Zimbabwe. And it's rhe rainy season so I needed to make a move!

would love to see more how you installed this inside the older door.

X10

I'd love to see how also. I've got the same thin doors.

X10

I'd love to see how also. I've got the same thin doors.
20230203_090329.jpg

20230203_092210.jpg

20230203_122324.jpg

So I used one of these cable driven power window mechanisms because of how thin they are. Had to cut an access panel into the door, then just mounted the mechanism and made a bracket that I welded to the bottom of the original window bracket that bolts to the mechanism. Not too much to it actually, was just about figuring out where to place everything

View attachment 3374612
View attachment 3374613
View attachment 3374614
So I used one of these cable driven power window mechanisms because of how thin they are. Had to cut an access panel into the door, then just mounted the mechanism and made a bracket that I welded to the bottom of the original window bracket that bolts to the mechanism. Not too much to it actually, was just about figuring out where to place everything
Nice, what mechanism did you use? Was it out of another car/truck or was it a generic unit?
Would love to see picture of how you mounted the motor at the bottom of the door and what your access panel looks like when complete.
I see how you lined up the track at the bottom of the window with your marker lines, did you connect them somehow?

Thanks for the additional pictures!!
Craig

Nice, what mechanism did you use? Was it out of another car/truck or was it a generic unit?
Would love to see picture of how you mounted the motor at the bottom of the door and what your access panel looks like when complete.
I see how you lined up the track at the bottom of the window with your marker lines, did you connect them somehow?

Thanks for the additional pictures!!
Craig
Apologies, forgot the pic with the bottom access panel in place. This pic shows the panel in place and the bottom of the unit bolts to the access panel.
20230203_095025.jpg

I believe this unit was out of a Honda Fit/Jazz, but apparently the same as a lot of the smaller toyitas as well. The make was Mitsuba, which is an oem for a lot of Japanese makes like Honda and Toyota.

The lines were to help me get everything centered where it should be. I made the braket and bolted it to the mechanism first, then lined it up, made the marks, pulled it out and welded the bracket to bottom of the window runner. Hope that makes sense.

Ross

Apologies, forgot the pic with the bottom access panel in place. This pic shows the panel in place and the bottom of the unit bolts to the access panel.
View attachment 3374652
I believe this unit was out of a Honda Fit/Jazz, but apparently the same as a lot of the smaller toyitas as well. The make was Mitsuba, which is an oem for a lot of Japanese makes like Honda and Toyota.

The lines were to help me get everything centered where it should be. I made the braket and bolted it to the mechanism first, then lined it up, made the marks, pulled it out and welded the bracket to bottom of the window runner. Hope that makes sense.

Ross
Quite ingenious. I'd consider adding modifying inner panels like these for a more finished look.
1689533309941.png

Quite ingenious. I'd consider adding modifying inner panels like these for a more finished look.
View attachment 3375025
My wife had a similar idea :)
20230717_074450.jpg

Now I just have to add door pulls and actually paint the door to match :hillbilly:

My wife had a similar idea :)
View attachment 3375620

Now I just have to add door pulls and actually paint the door to match :hillbilly:
1689581814841.png

1689581891406.png

Surprisingly similar to the OEM Toyota design for non-US markets. OEM hardware would be complicated to copy though.

Great timing on this thread, I ordered the curved kit from some Landcruiser vendor and the crank switches. I couldn't understand how you use the crank switch with the curved window kit: Universal Electric Power Window Crank Handle Switch Billet Aluminum Car Truck « autoloc.com - https://www.autoloc.com/catalog/OEM-Window-Crank-Switches/OEM-Window-Crank-Switches/AUTEWSU/Universal-Electric-Power-Window-Crank-Handle-Switch-Billet-Aluminum-Car-Truck- . Talked to autoloc and they said I need the flat kit: 2 Door Universal Flat Glass Electric Power Window Kit Regulator Motor Car Truck « autoloc.com - https://www.autoloc.com/catalog/Power-Window-Kits/Universal-Flat-Window/AUTPW5500/2-Door-Universal-Flat-Glass-Electric-Power-Window-Kit-Regulator-Motor-Car-Truck.

No chance of fitting as the motor is mounted on the track which extends too low, but when I looked at one of the original poster's pics of the different options, I noticed that the flat kit can have a remoted mounted motor. I'll see if I can get that motor to mount somewhere. I have a 6 in speaker driver taking up most of the lower front hole.
In a serious pinch, I'll fiberglass a bump in the door card to mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom