4 rows oem brass vs 3 rows aluminum radiator on a b series engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking of having my 4 rows oem brass radiator replaced by a 3 rows aluminum. I have read some comments that a 3 rows aluminum rad cools more efficiently the the 4 rows brass. Is this true? I am running a clutch fan on my engine.

the amount of cooling efficiency really comes down to the amount of air flow through the cores as opposed to the material of the cores, is your B engine running hot

Yup it does. Temp goes up when running at high speed. I wonder what's can be done to lower the temp

Brass radiator manufacturer will tell you how much better brass radiator is than an aluminum, and visa-a-vis. What I've been told by an impartial radiator engineer is that a brass radiator does a better job of keeping a lower temp cool (i.e. better at keeping 210 down to 190), and an aluminum radiator is better at keeping a hotter temp cool (i.e. better at keeping 240 down to 200).

Last edited:
If your overheating at speed, more frontal surface area might be a better solution, especially if your going to be purchasing another radiator. A 19x26 should fit pretty easy, not bolt in but not hard either.

I had a 3B in Cairns in 2000 and the temps there are similar if not hotter than Cali. No heating issues. I also caned a 2H in high 2nd at 35km/h through heavy sand for hours on end on the weekend with virtually no needle movement. So stock it should run fine. Is there anything inhibiting air flow through the rad? Have you done: water pump, fan hub [regrease or replace], does it have a shroud with the fan half-in and half-out, are you using coolant or just water, do you have a spring to open up your rad hoses, have you flushed the engine 2-3 times with engine flush, what condition is the radiator in? There's probably more things to check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom