4 row aluminum radiator for 73 FJ40 1F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone run a 4 row aluminum radiator like these on Amazon? The website says it fits but I’m concerned about the bottom half not being flush as compared to the 3 row ones I see.

E9953DDC-0D48-4507-9590-C9A1083B685F.jpeg

Based on past threads you will get why not buy OEM copper which are more expensive but guaranteed to fit and last. From the image the outlet for the overflow seems to be facing the wrong direction and seems to have a more modern style of cap. In similar threads below there have been attempts to use non OEM radiators, not always successfully.
Tim

Last edited:
Last edited:
Warning to all who buy OEM radiators. I had to send back three damaged radiators from a Toyota online parts seller, and the forth one I kept still had damaged fins. I'd highly suggest buying the OEM unit from City Racer LLC -> Click Here <- I believe @Racer65 inspects each radiator before sending them out.

YMMV: but I'm 90% sure, you will thank me later!

When I opened the 3rd OEM radiator, there was a "RETURN SLIP" from another customer 2 months prior that was in the resealed box! All they did was put the returned damaged item back on the shelf and re-sent it out to the next unlucky customer, which was me! I was NONE-TOO-PLEASED to say the least!

Radiator.jpg

Last edited:
Warning to all who buy OEM radiators. I had to send back three damaged radiators from a Toyota online parts seller, and the forth one I kept still had damaged fins. I'd highly suggest buying the OEM unit from City Racer LLC -> Click Here <- I believe @Racer65 inspects each radiator before sending them out.

YMMV: but I'm 90% sure, you will thank me later!

When I opened the 3rd OEM radiator, there was a "RETURN SLIP" from another customer 2 months prior that was in the resealed box! All they did was put the returned damaged item back on the shelf and re-sent it out to the next unlucky customer, which was me! I was NONE-TOO-PLEASED to say the least!
I'm glad you brought this up. Toyota does a poor job with the packaging of these radiators. I've had to explain to customers many times that the flattened pins will appear on all units due to the cardboard block the factory placed on both sides to provide support. Toyota considers these as "cosmetic issues", and they won't accept returns.

About 20% of the OEM radiators will have more substantial damage such as distorted tanks and/or damaged inlet/outlet tubes. We filter those out during our inspections. More importantly, we beef up the packaging significantly when we ship to you. Few if any generic reseller will bother to do any of this, and your chance of receiving an usable radiators from them is less than 1 in 5.

By the way, we 've had many conversations with the Toyota rep regarding this matter. Toyota HQ wo't do anything about it. This is a small part of their business and they can't be bothered by it.

If you want to go the Aluminum route, we offer a first rate Mishimoto unit that comes in world class packaging and lifetime warranty. My 2 cents: Do not buy the cheap stuff on Amazon / eBay. You'll just end up in square one having to do this job again in the near future.

I purchased a FrostBite 4core radiator from Summit [about~$350] Although they pressure test it before they mail it, I did have to return the 1st one I got 1week after installation. It had a minor leak near the bottom. The worst part was it did not fit (smoothly) into the U-shaped mount. I had to grind, beat and bend the bracket so it would fit. I wasn't happy with the overall mount, because I couldn't bolt it down at every bolt hole...
But I tightened it up, used some LockTite and called it a day.
Even with the missing bolts, the thing is tight and will definitely stay in place :)
Oh and YES! DON'T cheap out!

I'm glad you brought this up. Toyota does a poor job with the packaging of these radiators. I've had to explain to customers many times that the flattened pins will appear on all units due to the cardboard block the factory placed on both sides to provide support. Toyota considers these as "cosmetic issues", and they won't accept returns.

About 20% of the OEM radiators will have more substantial damage such as distorted tanks and/or damaged inlet/outlet tubes. We filter those out during our inspections. More importantly, we beef up the packaging significantly when we ship to you. Few if any generic reseller will bother to do any of this, and your chance of receiving an usable radiators from them is less than 1 in 5.

By the way, we 've had many conversations with the Toyota rep regarding this matter. Toyota HQ wo't do anything about it. This is a small part of their business and they can't be bothered by it.

If you want to go the Aluminum route, we offer a first rate Mishimoto unit that comes in world class packaging and lifetime warranty. My 2 cents: Do not buy the cheap stuff on Amazon / eBay. You'll just end up in square one having to do this job again in the near future.

Do you sell any Rear Quarter patch panels, perhaps ?

Copper vs aluminum gee whiz information: I was once told buy a guy who sold the radiator cores to the radiator manufacturers that copper cools better at lower temps (i.e. getting 210 degrees down to 180 degrees), and aluminum works better at higher temps (i.e. getting 240 degrees down to 210 degrees), FWIW.

@Downey I, for one, appreciate all of your Gee Whiz information. Lots of legacy and knowledge there. To @Lwhelchel, I made the decision to order an OEM from City Racer and I am super happy with it. Everything from the perfect fit, the included OEM cap, and extended drain, just add to that happiness. And, it performs too. It cools the original 2F so well. I decided NOT to go with an aluminum as there are so many mixed reviews. They work for some and not for others. I've yet to hear anyone regret installing an OEM radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom