4+Rear Bumper.. Poweder Coat Comming off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi:

The powder coat on the jerry can holder of my 4+ Rear Bumper is flaking off. Can I just sand back the rust spots to where the powder coat is still sticking to the metal and then paint it over? Or should I take off ALL the coating and repaint ?

Mark

i vote for rattle can.

how long have you had it? i was thinking of getting one, wondering about their durability.

I bought mine a couple of months ago maybe three months ago... has not seen any off road action and its already flaking off from the jerry can holders and where the latch in the middle is.....

Dont really care tho...I dont think it affects its structural strenght (at least not on the west coast).

I used a rattle can and that solved the problem..........

knock off any loose material and spray....

Is it black? If so, I have what U need: windshield adhesive primer sticks. We get a dozen or so of 'em in a case of Sika Ultrafast 2 urethane, but hardly ever use any. They're for priming spots on the pinch weld (the area where the windshield is glued) that get scratched by a cutout knife down to the metal, or ground down to metal because of rust. They're felt-tipped cylinders about 3/8"x3" that you bend to break the glass vial inside. The black primer that is released dries really quickly & sticks like crazy. Great for touching up black stuff that gets scraped.

Call around to auto glass shops & find one that uses Sika & ask them if they have any extras. Should practically give them to you.

Where in Redwood City are you? My sister lived up in the hills there for years - love it!

Does the stuff stay sticky or does it dry on hard?

Thanks

Mark

Powder coat

I was concerned that the coat might do just as you have described. It doesn't seed to do well on surfaces that flex, and the can carriers might flex a little. I am going to prime and rhinoliner the 4+ on BT60 rebirth, it'll flake off eventually too I am sure, if I don't beat it off on a tree or rock first, then rattle can!:D

i've had a 4+ rear bumper for about 5 months. i swear if i touch it too hard with my hand the powder coating falls off. been thinking about trying to get some sort of refund. i'm not fully educated on powder coating. isn't this stuff supposed to be very strong?

in comparison, my front ARB has taken a few beatings and it's never flaked or scratched off.

I think it's in the prep...

I have a feeling that they may have been prepped for powder coating, then sat as raw steel for a bit whereas minor surface rust started prior to PC. I don't know alot about the process, but that's my thought.

i've had a 4+ rear bumper for about 5 months. i swear if i touch it too hard with my hand the powder coating falls off. been thinking about trying to get some sort of refund. i'm not fully educated on powder coating. isn't this stuff supposed to be very strong?

in comparison, my front ARB has taken a few beatings and it's never flaked or scratched off.

I'd definitely shoot MAF an email, thats BS on their part.

I have a feeling that they may have been prepped for powder coating, then sat as raw steel for a bit whereas minor surface rust started prior to PC. I don't know alot about the process, but that's my thought.

You are right on the prep but even with the best prep I have seen that items that flex any will have a hard time with powdercoat, some of my bike parts were pc two or three times before a good solid coat held. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom