Coated bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My new to me FJ62 has some sort of coating on the front and rear bumpers. I have started the process of removing it (WD40 or goo gone seems to work best), but it’s a slow process.

What I’m finding however is the metal below the coating does not appear to be chrome. Or maybe it was but someone hit it with a grinding disk or wire wheel. It almost looks more like a polished metal rather than chrome.

What do y’all think, can it be polished out and left like that, or better to just coat it again with something like plasti-dip or bed liner?

IMG_1297.jpeg

IMG_1295.jpeg

IMG_1296.jpeg

Looks like someone scuffed it to improve adhesion for the coating. I don't know much about polishing chrome, but given that the chrome has already been scuffed, you might as well save yourself some time and hit the remaining coating with a knotted wire wheel. It shouldn't put up too much resistance.

Remove the old stuff and apply some new stuff. The original old chrome is a goner.

If it’s coming off with WD 40 it’s likely plastidip that’s on there right now. Bed liner would be more robust or get it powdercoated if you want them black. Or call A local plating shop for a rechrome quote

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom