4 Low Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. I have had a ‘97, ‘00, ‘03, 07, ‘17 and now a new to me 2006 LX. I have had Lexus inspect the newest one, along with the Toyota enthusiast place I bought it from and me all look this car over, and all parties have said it’s all good.

BUT...as my memory serves me with the other LXs I have had, when I put those in 4 low, the following would happen...lights on the dash light up, putting it into 4 Low requires a bit of firmness, and sometimes there is even a slight “crunch”, and when it’s in, you can hear a whining sound from the gears when you drive. Also, you can feel the gearing being different. I also feel like in some of the others the center diff automatically engaged in 4L but I cant remember with certainty.

Fast forward to this one. It goes into 4 low like butter...there are no lights in the dash, and if I want the center locked, I have to press the button. When driving on non-pavement there is no whining sound whatsoever, but the gearing is definitely different and feels like the others. I tested it on pavement and can hear an ever so slight whining sound, but definitely less, seemingly, than the others. It would not surprise me if the 4L was almost never engaged before me.

Does sound right to you guys? Or are the alarms going off?

Thanks!

If you put it in 4L and the CDL light does not turn on by itself ... will the truck roll to a halt when in reverse and the steering wheel locked in either direction? No throttle application, just idling on its own.

My 05 LC has the same symptoms as your new to you 06. Slides in 4Lo like butter, no whine, no crunch, feels like different gearing. Sounds like you are all good to me?

If you put it in 4L and the CDL light does not turn on by itself ... will the truck roll to a halt when in reverse and the steering wheel locked in either direction? No throttle application, just idling on its own.
It continues to roll, but ALMOST stops and then keeps going. In H, it rolls in circles backwards much more quickly.

Your CDL is working in 4L. You may just have a sensor/switch/dash light issue

Likely just need to replace the indicator position switch on the passenger side of t-case.

It continues to roll, but ALMOST stops and then keeps going. In H, it rolls in circles backwards much more quickly.
I have the same issue and I believe this thread has the fix. Its a pretty simple, but annoying to get to, part for like $20 on top of the transfer case. LIke yours mine is definitely working but the lights just dont come on.

Question- does running in 4l and/or with CDL cause more "wear" than 4H? I guess I am asking if there is a disadvantage to running in L if H could do the same thing? I woudl think the lower gearing would be more beneficial up until you hit higher speeds or pavement.

Hard to tell from his post if this is the case—sounds like his CDL light may well turn on when he pushes the switch, but not when he shifts to 4L, which is exactly how my 04 works....sounds like all is well.

It seems to me that I read that on early years 4L and CDL work together and on later years they work independently. That is on early models when you engage 4L you automatically get CDL, with the CDL light, assuming it's working. Then on later models you have to engage 4L and hit the button to get both. Apparently on early years you can cut a wire behind the glovebox and separate the two functions and make it like the later years. Someone should know when this change took place - assuming it is correct.

IIRC on early models you can do a pin 7 mod (like 80’s) to make the CDL selectable as opposed to automatic in 4L, plan to do this on my 99

It seems to me that I read that on early years 4L and CDL work together and on later years they work independently. That is on early models when you engage 4L you automatically get CDL, with the CDL light, assuming it's working. Then on later models you have to engage 4L and hit the button to get both. Apparently on early years you can cut a wire behind the glovebox and separate the two functions and make it like the later years. Someone should know when this change took place - assuming it is correct.
2000 is the first model year in which the CDL became independently actuated in 4L.

The only automated light you should see on the dash when you first switch in 4LO is VSC OFF

This may help your diagnosis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom