4.8 swap questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For my re-power project, I have a Chevy 4.8 bolted to a GM 4 speed bell housing which is bolted to the Ranger torque splitter bolted to the stock Toyota 4 speed. When I position the trans and transfer case into its location the driver side of the motor is high, like the bellhousing needs to be clocked a few degrees clockwise.

When I roll the engine to a more flat orientation the shifter shout pushes against the driver side edge of the floor hole. there seems to be a about a 5+ degree of "twist' in the engine/trans.

I've attached a pic of the engine and the shifter in position.

engine.jpg

trans.jpg

This has been commonly available information for years. Your truck is a 85-87 right? They have a 5-7 degree twist to them in those years, this is exactly what your issue is. However with the 2F the bellhousing accounts for this to cancel out the angle of the transfer case crossmember so the motor sits level. You obviously don't have that bellhousing, but you do have the crossmember trying to angle the transmission. So either modify the crossmember, shim the heck out of the transmission mount, or live with the motor not being level

This has been commonly available information for years. Your truck is a 85-87 right? They have a 5-7 degree twist to them in those years, this is exactly what your issue is. However with the 2F the bellhousing accounts for this to cancel out the angle of the transfer case crossmember so the motor sits level. You obviously don't have that bellhousing, but you do have the crossmember trying to angle the transmission. So either modify the crossmember, shim the heck out of the transmission mount, or live with the motor not being level
Well s***. I don't know how this got passed me. I've been reading through build threads for so long and I can't recall reading about this issue. I guess I'll split the difference and get the motor as level as possible and go forward with this janky looking set up. I'm having regrets about the purchase of the Ranger o/d. All the reasons I bought the thing (Keeping the trans/Tcase in its original location, not having to **** around with drive lines blah blah blah) are out the window it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom