4.7 V8 in a FJZ80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If first hand experience is not "of value" then i dont have anything else to contibute to this discussion ...

Semantics... In mine and the state's view... if its registered, it is legal. Period.

ADEQ enforces the "laws" you wish me to look up... so if they give me slip saying Ah-OK then how on earth is it not legal (in practical terms)?

FWIW, classic car registration is also a workaround.

Last edited:
Aside... honestly dont know what my quote had to do with anything ?:meh:

but hey, cheers anyway.

Because you made the point your vehicle was illegal ("COMPLETE desmog and closed the hood no questions asked. I guess they really dont know what to look for.") Yet would have passed the test (visual) if not for the tail pipe failure. Making my point:eek: Even technically illegal vehicle can be registered. But go back another day with another inspector and you would have failed right away...luck of the draw:popcorn:

FWIW, classic car registration is also a workaround.
On a OBD2 1996+ Cruiser?

Last edited:
Analogous to your point:

There is a state law strictly prohibiting bare hands from touching prepared food in a (commercial) kitchen. However There are numerous restaurants out there that LEGALLY use bare hands... with state regulatory agencies giving the GO-AHEAD.

So I dont really understand your points. Flexibility and common sense exists in regulation... and rules and SOP's exist that may have nothing to do with "LAW". This is how s*** works pal. hate to throw it at you.

As a digression: most people break multiple laws everyday... without ever knowing or realizing.

A thing called precedent exists with engine swaps. The state cannot and will not retoractively say "all theose engine swaps that we deemed legal are now... illegal). Doesnt pass the smell test.

Flexibility and common sense exists in regulation... .

Now that is the funniest s*** you posted all night:lol: I take it you never worked for the Gov... or even watched the news.

A thing called precedent exists with engine swaps. The state cannot and will not retoractively say "all theose engine swaps that we deemed legal are now... illegal). Doesnt pass the smell test.

I am not sure here but didn't CA do just that?

Now that is the funniest **** you posted all night:lol: I take it you never worked for the Gov... or even watched the news.

Contraire my friend... wish it wasnt the case. :whoops:

You are correct on the news.. dont watch tv (save sports).

I am not sure here but didn't CA do just that?

HAHA Um i dont think so but it would not suprise me this happenig in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.. :meh:

There are numerous "legal" cruiser engine swaps in CA... you need to get out more. :doh:

Goodnight.

HAHA Um i dont think so but it would not suprise me this happenig in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.. :meh:

There are numerous "legal" cruiser engine swaps in CA... you need to get out more. :doh:

Goodnight.

You can Swap engines in CA...major pain in butt I hear with the ref stations and all, but again not sure here, if you had a older swap that isn't "legal" on the newer laws I don't think its grandfathered in??? I think I have seen Cruisers for sale for just the reason outa CA.

Sorry for F-ing up your OP Murf:whoops:

Sorry for F-ing up your OP Murf:whoops:

Haha I was thinking the thread sure did take a totally different turn. Cool, clean swap Eric, thanks for posting.

Haha I was thinking the thread sure did take a totally different turn.

No worries, the board could use some healthy debate

I guess I would consider myself a Toyota purist with the exception of my z 34 lumina hood vent, but for practical reasons I'd probably go with a Chebby or Cummins motor if my supercharger fries my 4.5. Eventually ill probably move up to a 100 for family comfort reasons and maybe a front axle swap if necessary. But I doubt I'll ever sell the 80 so I'll have that for any hard core trails that would require a solid front axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom