4.56 ring pinion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does Toyota have 4.56 gears, if so can dealer get them?
Are there vendors to stay away from that sell junk4.56 gears?
kurt

Kurt

Christo can get you OEM 4.56 gear sets from an off-shore source. Toyota proper does not export that ratio to this market(north america)

Dan

Thanks, I looked on Slees web site and he doesn't show them their. I will e-mail them.
kurt

I see TPI has them for about $190 for front diff. Don't know about if they are good or not ??? If I could get a set for under $400 I would but any more I will have to wait.
kurt

The OEM gear sets will very easily exceed that. I would not be surprised if they are around $700.00 a set (That's per AXLE, not per vehicle :ugh: )

I have Yukons but in the 4.88 variety. The web site didn't show 4.56 in a reverse cut though. That was at Randy's ring and pinion. You might call them. Someone had posted that they were told something about lockers making a difference, was that you? Any way front and rear with bearings and seals was around 800.00 for the whole job. Almost 20k with no problems. Changed the gear lube last week and it was clean and nothing abnormal on the plug magnet.

Rick,
That was me. I talked to Yukon and I asked the person if they had 4.56 ring and pinion, and complete 4.56 carriers (pumpkins). When I mentioned I had lockers he said no, then checked with someone else there and confirmed the no. I think others have said they knew of people running the Yukon 4.56's so now I don't know if the guy meant they did not have the locker/carriers complete or if they didn't have the ring and pinion either. He sounded like they did not have either.
Bill

The problem is with the reverse cut of the front gear. Older landcruisers that are part time have the same rotation front and rear. Not sure of the early FJ80s which way they are. Honestly for the price of a set of factory gears you can get 4.88s and a nice set of new 315s to go with them :G

>> Not sure of the early FJ80s which way they are.  <<

All US 80 series are FT 4WD, have 4.10 gears, and have reverse cut, high pinion, in the front.

-B-

(Edited to change 4.11 to 4.10)

Both 4.88's and 4.56's are available from Japan. Catch is, the shipping makes them very expensive, on top of a bad $/Yen and a not so cheap initial price.

Randy's does have 4.88's and 4.5'6's as well. However I don't believe they have complete third members on a core exchange bases.

Also, fwiw, Yukon is not a brand name. It is just a house brand from Randy's. It does not even mean the front and rear gears would be the same manufacturer.

We do use the gears in the shop and have had good luck with them. However sometimes we reject some before we even install them. They have always been good at sending new sets to replace.

The Toyota gears are machined much better, but it is difficult to convince people that they should spend 2-3 times as much on just the ring and pinion.

From my experience with several european companies I beleive that the gears come from over there. Europeans write their 1s as a upside down cocked V. If you've seen this you'll know what I mean. Both sets that I recieved had serial numbers with this 1 in it. Probably more of a suspicion than anything I guess. I did have some slight harmonic vibrations when they first went in but that has worked it's way out.

He also lists the reverse cut 8" diffs. V6 toyota trucks never came w/ solid axle front. Reverse cut gears weren't introduced until '96+, IIRC, and that's for IFS front diffs w/ 7.5" ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom