3UR iForce 5.7 Powered Long Travel FJ45 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UZJ40

OEM(ish)
SILVER Star
Threads
I will be documenting the build of a long travel desert truck, powered by the 5.7 iForce. It will be 4WD, and have around 16-18" of travel. The truck is not mine, it belongs to a shop here in Vegas called Nefarious Kustoms. The owner, Cam, has done some CNC work for me over the years (my dash pieces, door panels, center console, etc) and some other projects. Throughout my time knowing Cam, we have become friends and I've actually been his co-driver in a few desert races. He is a very talented fabricator and built this truck from scratch that we raced in King of the Hammers 2015. He will be doing the metal work and I will be doing the wiring/electrical.

While this is could easily go in the HARD CORE section, I think there will be some guys in the 40 section that will find the technical info for the 3UR helpful for future projects.

Hand welded trussed rear axle for the KOH car-

22223.jpg

Rear cage and suspension work on the KOH car-

30.jpg

Almost complete-

49.jpg

Him and I during KOH 2015-

65.jpg

Last edited:
The truck started out as an FJ40. Cam had the intentions on making a desert truck out of it, so he began doing some metal work to shorten the cab and make a tubed bed. He did a pretty good job of making the rear panels look factory. He bought it with a Chevy 350 in it, which he was originally going to keep, but plans changed...

cabs.jpg

This 'gem' of Tundra popped up on Craigslist for a screaming deal. It was by far the cheapest Toyota 5.7 powered vehicle I've seen for sale, so the wheels started turning...

tundra1.jpg

When I did my 4.7 swap, I did not have a complete donor car handy, so there was a lot of trial and error, parts lookup, research, and making things up as I went. I am extremely excited to have the complete truck handy for reference! It will make the project move along quickly and hopefully much cheaper than it would have sourcing individual parts!

This poor Tundra had been repo'd at one point. It had also been cut down and a 'bed cage' had been installed. No big loss taking off the rear fiberglass and cutting out their metal work. Also, the interior was trashed, but the thing ran great! The motor was untouched, as were all of the front body panels. I think it will be a great starting point! (yes, it's 4WD).

Last edited:
I was able to swing by Cam's shop last week and assist for a short amount of time. He was able to get the cab off, and everything else we wouldn't need. The plan is to place the 45 cab on the shortened Tundra frame. He has already ordered the long travel kit, as well as King coilovers front/rear, with bypasses on all 4 corners

tundra3.jpg

The cab was set on the frame to get an idea of how ridiculously wide it would be... the back half of the Tundra frame was cut off as it would not be needed. At first glance, it won't be too bad getting everything to fit! The tires will be large enough to fill up the fender area. The fiberglass hood/fenders will definitely help accommodate the wide engine since there is no inner fender metal to deal with.

The radiator and AC condenser will definitely need to be moved to the back of the truck and mounted on the bed cage just behind the fuel cell and in front of the spare tires.

The engine is about 8" in front of the firewall. Rather than messing with engine placement, we will leave it where it is mounted from the factory.

IMG9519241.jpg

The long travel kit has been installed and the King coilovers and bypass shocks are in! This will be strapped at 17" of travel!

Now onto the engine wiring!

lt1.jpg

lt2.jpg

lt3.jpg

Me looking at some wiring diagrams for the 3UR

lt4.jpg

this is looking good. im sure with your high standards we will be looking at another fine example of "What if mr T kept the 40 styling with modern running"

Interesting build Riley. My friend Jack @JackA has been involved with KOH for quite some time. Bet he will also find this build to be quite cool.

any progress on this?

any progress on this?

Yes, as a matter of fact. Just rolled into the paint booth today. I will be starting wiring this Friday. Hoping to have it running by SEMA... but regardless, it will be there.

lt451.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom