3rd row seats wont attach (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up a 97 40th lc this past weekend and the rear seats wont latch down that mount on the rear fender well. there was a small piece of black plastic that i found around the mounting post but didnt find anything else. am i missing someting that is keeping them to clamp down.

I found that the most helpful thing to be to read the directions/diagram that should be on, IIRC, the DS rear panel. As first they may not make a lot of sense until you start playing with the seat.

It is really hard to explain how they go on but basically you make sure all the fabric is out of the way and then rest the seat (in the folded up position) on the bar attached to the wheel well. Move the seat to the forward position, pull up on the latch on the seat and push down and back until it locks in place. Then under the seat is the rod to snaps over the lower bar on the mounting bracket.

I don't recall any small black plastic pieces other than on the end of the above mentioned rod that snaps over the lower bar.

HTH

I too am not sure about the plastic. I move my seats in and out all the time, and they are a pain. I do as corsair has said but have found that having the seat bottom at a 45 degree angle to the floor helps me get them in quicker.

Im sure its the same as the LX but the the seat has to be folded and basically dropped down onto the bar WHILE pressing the small lever to lock it into place. Its actually pretty easy once you've done it once....or 327 times. :p

so you have to push that lever down by hand it doesnt snap into place once seated?

yes, it never just snapped in for me. At first it was always a two person job to install it but now I can do it by my lonesome.

so you have to push that lever down by hand it doesnt snap into place once seated?

Push down or pull up on it, can't remember, while sliding the seat into place. IIRC the lever is spring loaded into the locked/closed position.

Keep at it. Sooner or later (probably later) you get it to work and then the next time you take the rear seats out you'll get enjoy trying to remember how to put them back in all over again :D

3rd Row

Push down or pull up on it, can't remember, while sliding the seat into place. IIRC the lever is spring loaded into the locked/closed position.

Keep at it. Sooner or later (probably later) you get it to work and then the next time you take the rear seats out you'll get enjoy trying to remember how to put them back in all over again :D

Or he'll just decide not to try and put them back in ever again.

took me a few tries as well. kinda tricky to properly line up the front & rear to sit just right in order for it to slide back...keep at it. otherwise..you can check the thread on what to do with the 3rd row seats once you pull em...:bang:

Those are a different design. I'm reasonably proficient at things mechanical, yet if I don't remove or install them for a long period of time I have to fiddle with them. The lever does in fact simply lock into place, you only use the lever to remove the seats. IIRC, you hold the seat at a 45 angle and move it up and down a few degrees while pushing the seat toward the front of the car. Assuming you've placed it in the right spot (the key, actually), suddenly the seat will lurch forward an inch and you'll be rewarded with a loud clack as the lever locks it. I never even knew there was a diagram back there after near 300,000 miles driving 3 different 80s.....

DougM

well i guess i was doing the wrong side 1st. Let me explain i was trying to do the pass rear and said heck with it and tried the other i got it into place and had to pound the seat back so the half c shaped piece on the seat slide into the colar on the rail, the other side half c shaped piece on the seat is disformed on both outer lips not letting it go into the anchor piece. I know I did a terrible job explaining that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom