3L head to 2L (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read here in forum that 3L head will fit into 2L. What year 3L I'll be looking for. I have an 85 2L non turbo. Thanks in advance for who ever could help me.

I dont know exactly what year the 3l head is on my 1990 2lte lj78 or even if it is a toyota 3l or ALLHEAD 3l all i know is that i can see a tapping and the exhaust manifold gasket sticking an 1" back of the manifold. works perfect!
aaron

Does anyone know the correct path to take? I have a 1989 2L-T, but just got a JDM motor that is a 2L-T2. I didn't even know there was such a thing prior to getting this. Everything seems to be different on the JDM motor. Will the 2L-T2 run without all the sensors hooked up to the Injection pump or will the 2L-T2 accept the injection pump from my 2L-T? Or am I SOL?

Just to clarify, youre trying to remove the whole 2lt engine and replace it with the 2lt2? And trying to figure out how to hook that up? Or are you trying to swap heads like the OP was? If youre trying to swap heads, pull the valve covers and see if they are both bucket shim or if one has rocker arms.

If youre trying to swap the whole engine, and youre 2lt injector pump is good, you should have no problem pulling the old injector pump off and putting it on the new engine. Make sure you adjust your timing properly if you do that though (easy when the engine is out of the truck).

If you want to keep the new injector pump I think the 2lt2 should still be mechanically injected but you should post a photo and part numbers off the injection pump on the 2lt2 so we can see what sensors etc it has. If it has spill control valves and a crank position sensor etc like the 2lte it will need an ecu to run it. Other sensors you might be able to ditch. My 5l has a weird pump that has way more sensors than its supposed to but im able to run without the tps, and rpm pickup or a proper feed to my tcv. Check and see what the timer cover looks like (left side of pump towards the front). The mechanical timed pumps and electric timed pumps seem to have different timer covers.

Just to clarify, youre trying to remove the whole 2lt engine and replace it with the 2lt2? And trying to figure out how to hook that up? Or are you trying to swap heads like the OP was? If youre trying to swap heads, pull the valve covers and see if they are both bucket shim or if one has rocker arms.

If youre trying to swap the whole engine, and youre 2lt injector pump is good, you should have no problem pulling the old injector pump off and putting it on the new engine. Make sure you adjust your timing properly if you do that though (easy when the engine is out of the truck).

If you want to keep the new injector pump I think the 2lt2 should still be mechanically injected but you should post a photo and part numbers off the injection pump on the 2lt2 so we can see what sensors etc it has. If it has spill control valves and a crank position sensor etc like the 2lte it will need an ecu to run it. Other sensors you might be able to ditch. My 5l has a weird pump that has way more sensors than its supposed to but im able to run without the tps, and rpm pickup or a proper feed to my tcv. Check and see what the timer cover looks like (left side of pump towards the front). The mechanical timed pumps and electric timed pumps seem to have different timer covers.

He has another thread going with pictures etc. here: 2L-T vs 2L-T2

It is a 2LT-II, but may have had an emissions computer. So he'll have to sort out all the emissions stuff that can be removed to make it a purely mechanical setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom