3FE Thermostat Housing Sensor Threads (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of reassembly of my rebuilt 3FE and noticed the threads on the thermostat housing for most of the sensors need to be cleaned up. I can't figure out what size the threads are for each of the sensor ports.

Does anyone know what size taps I should use to clean these up?

Thanks

housing 01.jpg

housing 02.jpg

Even if you had the correct metric tapered taps, chasing them into each hole of that non replaceable, fragile aluminum housing would not be something I'd ever attempt.
Just use a small pipe brush.
The threaded holes are tapered and so would be the tap. That doesn't bode well for careful cleaning

Unfortunately the BSVS won't thread in at all and the water temp sensor is rough at best. If I can't clean these up I'll have to find a new one. I'd like to try to salvage what I have if possible.

British Standard Pipe Thread (BSPT) is what the JIS system used for tapered threads. Joey educated me on that awhile back when I was working on a 2F forklift block.

There are minor differences on the thermostat housing over the life of the of the 3F 88-92. The vsv’s are part of this change I have seen differences changes in 90 not necessarily in the 60 to 80 series change. dont just chase out the thread

I ended up getting a tapered BSPT tap and chased the threads. It was the only way the BSVS was going in. Hopefully it doesn't leak, but if it does I'll trash the top piece and start over. Thanks for the info.

No need to trash the top piece if it leaks, simply add thermostat specific RTV. You should be fine.

3FE Thermostat Housing HOSPITAL is here ..

Hi, Can the water temperature switch fitting be bought without the sensor ? Thanks, Mike

Hi, Can the water temperature switch fitting be bought without the sensor ? Thanks, Mike
I’m sure McMaster sells a threaded plug that would fit.

Thanks, Still looking for Toyota part no.

mike ...

im confused as to what your exactly looking for ?

can u post a photo ?

you ask for a fitting without a switch ?

a metal threaded plug or a plastic connector ?

or

something else entirely ?

ill help you if in can here

yazaki 2.png

I think Mike is asking whether the water temperature switch (89428-14070) is sold separately from the water temperature sender (89422-12010/20010)

I think Mike is asking whether the water temperature switch (89428-14070) is sold separately from the water temperature sender (89422-12010/20010)

his use of the word fitting is very specific and descriptive ?

i wonder if he thinks its like a 2F and has a sensor union then a sensor installed into that ?

like this
2F TECH example image i made ,

this is NOT a
3FE ....fyi
- i get emails via the store contact and also at least 10-20+ PMs daily on questions alot like this , so it keeps my fragile egg shell TECH mind active to

try to figure out and translate ones needs and wants into TOYOTA FSM klear and Koncise T-TEN dialect ....

- i have worked with mike in the past , and he is good people and a solid fellow member , so i am obligated to assist himm in any way i can , if and when time permits

- if he simply wants a SOLID OEM DELETE plug ?

- well , heck i have all those on hand for a 3FE upper housing , that's eazy peezy ,

- but one persons words online , can be interpreted in a host of ways by others online , i more ways then you can possibly imagine , so best to let him digest my questions and elaborate more ....

- i keep it simple and real , i ONLY speak OEM FSM and MICRO-FICHE TOYOTA terminology , this way i can stay sane in a insane world ..

- plus that is all i know , so it's mr-T's way .....is the only way for me :popcorn:

tempunionadapter_2048x.jpg

1679147018341.jpeg

Thanks, I just need the cap ,fitting that the wire goes into. Not the sensor itself. I’ve e bought them before but can’t remember the plastic cap part number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom