3FE Head in a 60 Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

timbercruiser said:
Check the July/August (?) issue of Toyota Trails (you're in TLCA, right?) There is an article in there covering your question.

This article was only marginally useful for those of us installing 3FE parts in a truck originally with a 2F.

time has dimmed my memory of which way the conversion went. I knew he did some sort of swap with the two motors.

Try searching 2fe, 3f-3fe, efi 2f, etc.
You may have to look through a lot of post but there is a lot of info here.

There are 4 or 5 articles in Toyota Trails on doing this kind of swap. Three are three that are continuous (part 1,2,3), and one or two others.

I will track down the issues and let you know which ones they are.

FJ40Jim said:
Yes. The 85-later 2F and 3F have the same head. The 3FE head is the same as 3F head, except for the extra machining of injector reliefs. therefore 3FE head is the same as 85-later 2F head. all 81-87 2F heads are interchangeable, therefore all 81-87 2F heads will interchange w/ 3F and 3FE heads.

Does the 85-later 2F head have enough material to machine out the injector reliefs?

I believe it would, but I am not positive, never actually done it.

You might be able to see enough inside the head by popping out the rear core plug, and temp sender bushing and heater fitting and t-stat housing. That would be if the head was off for servicing anyway.

FJ40Jim said:
Yes. The 85-later 2F and 3F have the same head. The 3FE head is the same as 3F head, except for the extra machining of injector reliefs. therefore 3FE head is the same as 85-later 2F head. all 81-87 2F heads are interchangeable, therefore all 81-87 2F heads will interchange w/ 3F and 3FE heads.

Jim, are the injector reliefs machined out, or cast in? I've got a 3FE in pieces right now and I *thought* that the pockets for the injectors were part of the casting. If so then there is likely differences inthe waterjacket behind them. :(

I'll have to take a look and refresh my memory in the AM.

Mark...

Mark W said:
Jim, are the injector reliefs machined out, or cast in? I've got a 3FE in pieces right now and I *thought* that the pockets for the injectors were part of the casting. If so then there is likely differences inthe waterjacket behind them. :(
I'll have to take a look and refresh my memory in the AM.
Mark...
Mark,
I *thought* the reliefs were just broached w/ mill. I looked at this before and said to myself "hey, these are just machined in. I could do this on my Dad's mill."
Today there is not a 3FE head laying around to look at again.:frown:

I was thinking that there was one basic head casting w/ enough meat for the injector reliefs. Kinda like how the non-US heads have the AIR port reliefs cast in. Like there is one basic casting, then it is machined for it's final destination.

It would not cause a hot spot to have the extra material above the cold intake runners.:)

I took a look at te head sitting at the shop this morning. The injector pockets are part of the casting, not machined in. The head number for the 3FE is 61080 as opposed to the 61040 found on the 2/3F heads.

My thought about the water jackets is that there *might* not be enough meat in the 61040 to cut the relief to match thr 61080 without hitting water jacket. Sounds like you're thinking that the 61040 has the same water jacket as the '80 and there's just a thicker area of iron there?

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom