3fe freeze/expansion plug recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Regarding a 3fe transplant motor going into my FJ62... Looking at the Specter kit, but i don't want to replace something that will corrode with something that will corrode. Anyone used them? Cool crusiers has brass plugs, are they worth it? Do i even need to worry about the block or just do the one on the back of the head? Also, do they come out as easy as the ones in the Youtube videos? lol thanks for any help

Last edited:
With any semblance of maintenance, the freeze plugs will outlive you. I might do the one in the back of the head and assess the condition of the one you took out. If it looks great, then skip the rest. If it's rusty and paper thin, then maybe do more (the difficult-to-get-to ones) as needed.

I ordered a replacement freeze plug that was 'supposed' to fit my 2F block (to replace a burned out block heater) and it was too tight to fit, so I rescued the OEM one that I had stored for 20 years and reinstalled it. I applied some sleeve retainer compound to the plug as I tapped it into the block, which may help lock it in place. It hasn't blown out in the past few years, so I guess I'm good. I'd be tempted to buy Toyota plugs, if they are available. The OEM plug I took out came out quite easily, but YMMV.

I ordered a replacement freeze plug that was 'supposed' to fit my 2F block (to replace a burned out block heater) and it was too tight to fit, so I rescued the OEM one that I had stored for 20 years and reinstalled it. I applied some sleeve retainer compound to the plug as I tapped it into the block, which may help lock it in place. It hasn't blown out in the past few years, so I guess I'm good. I'd be tempted to buy Toyota plugs, if they are available. The OEM plug I took out came out quite easily, but YMMV.
First, how did you retail that freeze plug? I've always screwed a small machine screw in so that I could recover that freeze plug after I punched it into the block. How did you install that block heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom