3FE Camshaft Timing Gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.pnwadventures.com
I had my 3FE rebuilt from a local rebuilder. After about 700 miles on the engine. the composite camshaft gear (unknown manufacturer) lost a few teeth. Luckily it was at idle when it happened and no other obvious damage was done.

As a fix, the rebuilder ordered in a steel replacement gear (unknown brand). When I installed it, there was zero backlash in the gear set. Not good. Now the rebuilder is at a lost on where to take this.

This is the most knowledgeable forum on this engine, where should I be looking for a replacement gear?

Is the factory camshaft gear for the 3FE the best choice? Is the 2F camshaft gear different then for the 3FE and if so, is that a better choice? is there other steel gear options?

Your ideas and experience is greatly appreciated.

Steve Bisig
1992 FJ80

Thanks for the replies. I found those same posts. It seems that those parts are NLA (at least from calling a couple of retailers and looking on the manufacturer websites).

Has anybody confirmed that the 2F and 3FE camshaft gears are the identical size (I know they materials are different).?

Thanks for the replies. I found those same posts. It seems that those parts are NLA (at least from calling a couple of retailers and looking on the manufacturer websites).

Has anybody confirmed that the 2F and 3FE camshaft gears are the identical size (I know they materials are different).?
I bought THIS ONE last month. Had it in two days. They did not indicate that it was unavailable or discontinued.

I went ahead and ordered a Toyota 3FE camshaft timing gear and had the rebuilder install it on the camshaft (I ordered it before I read tonkota's post on using 2F gears on the 3FE list).

I then installed the camshaft and torqued down the cam retaining plate to spec.

1. I then checked the timing gear backlash and according to my Harbor Freight Dial Indicator (how accurate, who knows) it shows approximately 0.001 inch backlash. The Factory manual shows a minimum of 0.0039 of timing gear backlash.

2. I rotated the camshaft timing gear one full revolution and there is detectable backlash (not using dial indicator) but no slop. It does seems little tighter each time the timing mark on the crankshaft timing gear makes contact with the camshaft gear.

3. I checked pattern of the two gears meshing together and they seem to be making even contact (I checked the pattern like you would a differential).

Is having detectable backlash in the timing gears adequate or should I be concerned that its not even close to factory spec for backlash?

Because of the results in #1 and #2 above, my gut feeling tells me to get a Toyota Crankshaft Timing Gear to replace the aftermarket gear.

Does my reasoning sound right?

Thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated.

Correct, the crankshaft timing gear was replaced by the rebuilder with a non-Toyota part, unknown manufacturer. The rebuilder says he only uses OE quality parts, not the cheap stuff. But it's still not Toyota parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom