3F Carburetor Info/Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

looks great !!

and your anti tamper cap is still intact.

I'm not sure that's an anti-tamper cap. It's open on top, freely rotates, and I have an SST that slips inside of it to adjust the idle mixture.

Very nice rebuild from this 3F carb! Was curious to see how different they were from F/2F carb.

I started with this Keyster kit. The gent who's 3F had gone south and gave me the Chicom carb also gave me this kit. He said that @cruiseroutfit had supplied it, so that's your best place to find it I'm sure.

MUD_CARB_06keyster.jpg

I snagged the Hygrade 791B kit as well for the better air horn gasket as well as the secondary diaphragm. This came from Rockauto.
MUD_CARB_07hygrade.jpg
I'm not sure why you use 1974 F carb kits for your rebuild?
Just looking quickly to the PN it even seems the OEM carb kits are still listed available for the 3F.

Woo this is black!
I'm surprised to see both venturi that black, would this means that previous owners used to floor it all the time? I would think that commonly the secondary is a lot less used that the main.

So the Keyster kit comes with different jets...

JetAs Installed OEMKeyster
Primary Main135120
Secondary Main230180
Power Valve110114
Primary Slow5555
Secondary Slow9080
Having used this exact Keyster kit recently I think 114 is not the power valve jet. It's the high altitude back-up of the Primary jet (F carb having the high altitude jet included inside the drains).
Power valve jets are slightly smaller than main jets (hard to see if not comparing side by side but they don't have the same thread so you can't mix them) and you should have in the kit a 60 (and a 55 for high altitude backup).

I think you are right keeping the original jetting of your carb, it's quite a difference between the F and 3F jetting.

You should retain the AC idle up and put a toggle switch in the cab to operate the solenoid for it.

Handy for bumping the idle up for hill climbs.😉
Actually I was thinking a couple of day ago about doing exactly that with the TP valve on my carb 🤔
Was not sure if it was a good or stupid idea 😅

I'm not sure why you use 1974 F carb kits for your rebuild?
Just looking quickly to the PN it even seems the OEM carb kits are still listed available for the 3F.

I'm not entirely sure either, except that it was given to me a free and the explanation given was that it was recommended by @cruiseroutfit for this application. That may or may not be the case, but I'm sure the kit came from them.

I have not been able to source an OEM carb kit. Curious where you've managed to find one.

Once I reinstall I'll report back here with my findings on performance/improvement.

If I'm not wrong the correct carb kit PN for the 21100-61300 carb would be 04211-61270, superseeded by 04211-61271.

04211-61271 is displayed available at Amayama and EU equivalent: Toyota 04211-61271 (0421161271) CARBURETOR KIT - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/0421161271 04211-61271 ⇒ CARBURETORKIT (0421161271) - https://www.xexpress.fr/ref-toyota-04211-61271.html
TPD in the US doesn't list 61271 but shows 61270 available: 04211-61270 Genuine Toyota CARBURETOR Kit - https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~carburetor~kit~04211-61270.html

Now the way those websites works the parts are indicated available until someone tries to order them and they are actually NLA. Partsouq list it as unavailable so maybe not a great sign but still a lot of sources listing it available. Particularly considering that 21100-61300 is the version of the 3F carb still available to buy.

Looking at kits for previous versions of the 3F carb and all markets variants shows a lot of availability at Amayama also: Carburetor assembly for Toyota Land Cruiser FJ70LV - Genuine parts - https://toyota-general.epc-data.com/land_cruiser/fj70lv/7959/engine/2102/04211/

As for the kit you used, I guess that if the gaskets fit and all the original hardware was in good enough condition to be re-used I don't see why your rebuild wouldn't be a success. Maybe Kurt had the info that the body of the carb was similar enough for the gaskets to fit.

Man... I must have either fat-fingered part numbers when I searched, or I'm completely mis-remembering my search. Indeed, I have part no. 04211-61271 in my spreadsheet of parts for my truck. And, as you've point out, it seems available.

I am going to have my parts guy take a look at ordering 04211-61270 here stateside, see what happens.

Huge thanks for adding your input here!

I'm not entirely sure either, except that it was given to me a free and the explanation given was that it was recommended by @cruiseroutfit for this application. That may or may not be the case, but I'm sure the kit came from them.

I have not been able to source an OEM carb kit. Curious where you've managed to find one.

Once I reinstall I'll report back here with my findings on performance/improvement.

Do you know when/where that recommendation happened. Certainly something I may have looked up or recommended but I don't recall it. :D

We generally match the OE carb# to the Keyster application guide we have developed for carb kits. Oddly the box label and actual applications are not often the exact same, particularly for US spec Cruisers.

Do you know when/where that recommendation happened. Certainly something I may have looked up or recommended but I don't recall it. :D

We generally match the OE carb# to the Keyster application guide we have developed for carb kits. Oddly the box label and actual applications are not often the exact same, particularly for US spec Cruisers.
I have no idea... likely 3 or more years ago. Like I said, it was generously given to me with a brief explanation.

All parts in the kit worked perfectly for my 3F rebuild. The jets were the only part that didn't "match up" so to speak, so I installed the original jets. The jets that came with the kit would certainly have fit the carb if I'd used them. I test fit a few to verify.

Finally got around to re-installing the rebuilt carb. My free time has been all-consumed by a kitchen remodel, so I woke up at 5AM this past Saturday to get this done.

MUD_CARB_40installed.jpg

It runs like a dream! I had some lag issues when you'd hammer the accelerator... and when choked the carb would also have some issues with acceleration. Those are completely gone. Throttle response is incredible now, a major improvement. I also replaced the old accelerator cable, so I'm probably enjoying some benefit from that as well.

Finally, the Chinesium temporary carb had so many quirks and issues, that it's further heightened my appreciation for the rebuilt carb. This rebuilt 31-year old carb blows away the "newish" copy.

Only a few months running this temporary carb and it was pretty fouled up... running to rich perhaps? I struggled with lean-drop tuning of it, so that makes some sense. The new carb lean-drop tuned without issue.

MUD_CARB_41dirtychina.jpg

It's running just fine. It has certainly shown itself to be more finicky about cold-weather starts than it used to be. For reference, that is 35 to 50-degree Phoenix cold, not truly cold.

But once warm it runs great. As the weather is warming up here it's starting better as well. I wonder if my seal to the manifold isn't as good as it used to be and when colder it has a leak. I just need to investigate that.

Otherwise, the rebuild has proven to have been a fantastic move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom