3b won’t shut down after alternator replaced. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced my alternator with a spare yesterday while trying to figure out some other problems (my other recent post about blinkers causing the edic to shut the engine down details this) but I thought post a sep post about this. This didn’t fix my shut down problems either.

after the alternator swap, I cannot turn the truck off with the key, but have to push the lever on the injection pump, then all the dash lights still stay on like I’ve got the key turned to the glow position And have to unhook the battery To turn things fully off.
When I rehook the battery it all stays off until I turn the key.
the blinker will still trip the edic but the engine won’t stop running.
I didn’t mess with anything else to cause this that I can think of?

I’ve recently gone through the grounds and edic components etc as well.

the new alternator had the same serial numbers on it as well.

85 12v bj60.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

find all the jenky old wiring from previous owners and fix first. check all grounds are intact too for good measure
next maybe you knocked a wire off the edic?
so how does your edic 'trip' with the blinker but not shut the engine off?
id be tracing the blinker wiring to find the fault, perhaps hacked into under the dash by the steering column.....

Thanks for replies!
I’ve gone through the grounds several times recently, I’ve owned the truck for 14 years, so not really any janky wiring, but definitely old wires given the age. I can’t find any loose wires after install. I’m guessing it’s some bad ground or somethin. Today the key will shut off the truck though, but not sure why?
I was hoping som had a similar issue To point me in the right direction, was going to check the steering column tomorrow

You need to get eyes on your EDIC rod and see whats happening with that. If its being pushed forwards (towards radiator) thats the shutdown position - if its definitely being pushed forward and the engine is still not shutting down you may need to lengthen the rod a little - for some reason it does seem to occur in older vehicles - perhaps as tolerances open up on linkages etc. This small guide I wrote for the 2H (same basic mechanism) may assist: Engine doesnt shutdown reliably when key is turned off - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YXk5tC9Z4wOdNiRg21nvNlft0dvBzuyn3RT2ndnCNyI/edit

If the rod is NOT being pushed forward when you shutdown the vehicle then you have a Fuel Control Relay or EDIC motor fault.

Odd EDIC/Fuel Control Relay issues are generally an earthing problem .. I have an additional guide about Fuel Control relay issues that discusses earthing here: 2H - Engine loses briefly power every 10 seconds or so - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QLOZmfRmmCzph8fZyzs3CgSOZ1VlmX11gMyKRNILOKU/edit?usp=sharing

I really cant explain why your alternator being changed might have affected things.. did you move from Externally Regulated to Internally Regulated as part of the change? That conversion is often stuffed up with odd outcomes.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response, and those Google documents are a great write up.
I have taken apart the steering column and don’t see any obvious problems with the wiring from the blinkers.
I have looked on the passenger and driver side, and cannot find the earth junction you are speaking of. I’m not sure what exactly to look for, but I assumed it was a bolt into the firewall with several ground wires, I don’t see this? This is a 3Bnot a 2h though.

When I turn the blinkers on it does trip the EDIC, which does cause the arm to move to stop. Sometimes it will only be half a second, or sometimes it will shut the engine down completely, and I have to remove the arm to start the engine. The new thing with the alternator installed was that I could not shut the engine down with the key, it would trip the edic I would see a blip in the dash gauges, but the engine would continue to run. I would have to manually shut the engine down. For whatever reason that has stopped, and I can turn the engine off with the key.

I have gone through the EDIC system multiple times over the years on this,, as I have tried to preserve it. I recently replaced the fuel control relay, as well as the edic motor.

The alternator is the exact same, with an internal regulated voltmeter.

I really appreciate the help, if anyone knows where the Earth ground for a BJ60 3B, that would be helpful.

Thank you again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom