3B running rough. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello you guys, 3B /rotary fuel injection pump just rebuilt, good and recently tested injectors, new glow plugs, new fuel shut off solenoid. Engine beautiful idle but LOSS OF POWER, seems starved for fuel or maybe too much fuel ( white smoke on acceleration) . IS THERE WATER IN MY FUEL TANK? Cruiser came from Florida where it sat for long periods of time and has always ran a little rough from the time I have owned. Humidity, Will that cause issues with diesel fuel or the tanks? How do I check for water in the fuel? And fuel tank ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and is there an additive I can put in to extract water? Thanks you guys.

You havent told us what vehicle its in.Does the power return and smoke disappear after a warm up?
Worse when its cold?
Did you have the work done and did you fit the pump and injectors yourself?

On the face of it , its either some obstruction in the fuel flow or air in the injection system. It could be a timing belt issue with it be 1-2 teeth out.

Half the diesels in the world spend their entire life in humid or wet climates with no problems. The fuel system is well sealed and stays that way with proper maintenance

I doubt that its water , but some have a water separator underneath that can be drained and most landcruisers have a drain plug underneath the tank. Others have a water warning sensor in the fuel filter.

I start by making sure that the fuel delivery system is clean and clear of obstructions. Note the is also a strainer in the fuel primer intake. Once you are sure the the system is pristine rig up a way to run fresh fuel to the IP.
If she runs better then work backwards towards the fuel tank ensuring all fuel lines are free of leaks.
Note: The IP sucks fuel and even invisible defects allow air into the system.
I also carry a 12v inline fuel pump and clear fuel line to help troubleshoot and/or get a guy home.
Another thing is if you try the primer it should get hard in a couple strokes....here is where I crack the 10mm bleeder so I can tighten the primer.
Always check the easy things first as they cost little to no money only time and patience.

Rough running on my 3B (inline pump) has always been air in the fuel system.

Start it up. take a wrench to the injector lines at the injectors and start cracking them while running. Go from one end. Crack and use the rag to catch the mist. DO a couple cracks each, one after another.

It used to take me multiple time to clear air on few attempts.

With the work you did it would not surprise me if you have air circulating thru the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom