3B into an 80 Series, has it been done (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, just purchased a rusty bj60, and i was wondering if anyone has put that motor into a 80 series landcruiser. Its not for me its for my dad, speed will not be an issue.

There was someone in toronto who swapped a 3b into an 80 - but added turbo - and apparently the work was horrible and there were lots of problems. A turbo 3B woiuld be ok in my opinion but a non turbo would be not good.

My non-turbo BJ75 wieghs 5400lbs empty and it goes very well with the 3B. I dont think I would do this swap myself, but it should work.

why would the non turbo 3B be bad? works ok in the 60, and the 60's had 3.70's where as (dont qoute me on this) i thought the 80's were 4.11's

3B's mileage really takes a dump when you start revving them high. I think the ideal 3B cruising RPM range is 2000 - 2200 rpm. If you go faster the mileage can really suffer.

I have 4:11's in my BJ60 but then I'm running larger tires as well.

Seems like the specs on the 3B are about 117 hp and maybe 177 torque? Something like that but most agree you can add about 25% to diesel numbers to compare fairly with petrol. In any case it would probably be similar to the 3FE, which is slow but acceptable in my opinion unless you live in the mountains. I wish I had thought of the 3B when I was looking into conversions although so far I am very happy with my engine just not my transmission!
Rusty

IIRC the 3B is only about 90hp. I wouldn't be happy with that power to weight ratio.

I know this doesn't really address the original question, but if you want to go relatively low power, would you not be better off swapping in a 1HZ which is already a stock option in an 80 series and should be much easier, and presumably less expensive to do? Even the 80 with a stock 1HDT was a bit slow, so I'm pretty sure that even though the OP said speed wasn't a factor, the little engine he's thinking of putting in there would be so slow it would be a factor. Just thinking out loud....

a 3B equipted 80 would be a slug, s***ty on fuel and the parts are getting harder and harder to find so bad idea

but

it is your time and money and if you want to do it, go for it.

or

you could sell the 3B drivetrain to the states for decent money and buy more fuel for the gasser

ANYTHING can be done with time and money so yah, it could be accomplished, a turbo and intercooler would help in the power department (as Louis said), the ride would be nice and the rattle would be very different in a usually quiet series of truck.

Ya, definatly not my first choice for a conversion - I wonder what a 6BT would be like in that - if you could stand the sound.

A 6.5 chev diesel would be my pick if a toyota diesel was hard to locate. The 6.5 are cheap in NA ,you just need to find a good one.
Lots of kits and info already out there.

x79 on the 3B. Great little diesel,but not in an 80.
Another point,it probably contravens rules regarding using an engine of a similar year as the body/chassis build date

Hi Everyone, the reason for the 3B, is simply that I have a good one, in a pretty rusty truck, the 80 series i see seem to have withstood the rust better than the 60 series.

I dont have the funds for a more intensive swap, i have access to a cummings (5.9 12V) for 1000, but its far from bolt in.

also i have tons of mercedes diesels lying around 2 6cyl turbos, 1 5 cyl turbo, 1 4 cyl.

I had a bj60 last year briefly and i didnt find it slow,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom