3b head stuck to block (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
trying to remove the head on my story be diesel in my bj73 today to diagnose it to see why it is missing after an overheating incident. I'm expecting a blown head gasket or cracked head or at worst a dropped pre-cup. The head is stuck to the block. I've removed the head bolts water pump manifolds injectors everything to make sure there's no other bolts left holding the head on. I have pulled, pryed, tapped it with a hammer all around, wacked it with a sledgehammer, whacked underneath the power steering pump mount that is bolted to the Head with an 8 lb sledge Hammer trying to knock it up word, I have even jacked the vehicle up with my high lift underneath the same bracket in this head does not want to come off. I have considered bolting the intake manifold and injector lines back up and trying to fire it up without the head bolts in to try to get that pop the head off, but I think I'm going to ask to you guys here on the forum maybe somebody's got some good advice before I go another route. Any advice?

Saw a guy break a sbc head off the block because he forgot the lower head bolts!! If you can’t pry it off gently with a breaker bar, there is a bolt holding it on!

I have removed 13 head bolts. I can't find any other head bolts that I've missed. I'm going to remove the water neck and the power steering pump mount next just to make sure there's nothing around there that I can't see. I'm also going to take out one of the rocker shaft bolts to make sure they don't go through the head down into the block.

thankyou all. I found the bolts. evidently on the 3b you have to take off the rocker shaft and there are bolts under the rocker shaft. They were hidden by the shaft and black oil residue.-R.

How does everything look? Curious if you can replace the head bolts with a stud kit?
It is cracked in between every single valve pair, exhaust valve seats cracked and fill into the cylinders on . two cylinders.

It is cracked in between every single valve pair, exhaust valve seats cracked and fill into the cylinders on . two cylinders.
sounds about right for a 3b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom